Oct 21, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
In news that comes as no surprise to anyone, Pirates general manager Neal Huntington told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com earlier today that he intends to decline club options for catchers Ryan Doumit and Chris Snyder after the World Series.
“I hate closing doors,” Huntington said, “but I think it’s realistic to assume that neither option is realistically in play at this point in time.”
Doumit will receive a $500,000 buyout rather than $7.25 million or $8.25 million in 2013. The 30-year-old batted .303/.353/.477 with eight homers and an .830 OPS this season, but missed over two months with an ankle injury. He has struggled to stay healthy throughout his career and is regarded as poor defender, but would be less of a liability in the American League where he could get at-bats as designated hitter.
Snyder will receive a $750,000 buyout rather than $6.75 million next season. The 30-year-old backstop batted .271/.376/.396 with three homers, 17 RBI and a .772 OPS over 119 plate appearances this season, but didn’t appear in another game after undergoing surgery on his lower back in June.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 27
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (112)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)