Oct 21, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
In news that comes as no surprise to anyone, Pirates general manager Neal Huntington told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com earlier today that he intends to decline club options for catchers Ryan Doumit and Chris Snyder after the World Series.
“I hate closing doors,” Huntington said, “but I think it’s realistic to assume that neither option is realistically in play at this point in time.”
Doumit will receive a $500,000 buyout rather than $7.25 million or $8.25 million in 2013. The 30-year-old batted .303/.353/.477 with eight homers and an .830 OPS this season, but missed over two months with an ankle injury. He has struggled to stay healthy throughout his career and is regarded as poor defender, but would be less of a liability in the American League where he could get at-bats as designated hitter.
Snyder will receive a $750,000 buyout rather than $6.75 million next season. The 30-year-old backstop batted .271/.376/.396 with three homers, 17 RBI and a .772 OPS over 119 plate appearances this season, but didn’t appear in another game after undergoing surgery on his lower back in June.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)