Oct 21, 2011, 8:50 PM EST
In news that comes as no surprise to anyone, Pirates general manager Neal Huntington told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com earlier today that he intends to decline club options for catchers Ryan Doumit and Chris Snyder after the World Series.
“I hate closing doors,” Huntington said, “but I think it’s realistic to assume that neither option is realistically in play at this point in time.”
Doumit will receive a $500,000 buyout rather than $7.25 million or $8.25 million in 2013. The 30-year-old batted .303/.353/.477 with eight homers and an .830 OPS this season, but missed over two months with an ankle injury. He has struggled to stay healthy throughout his career and is regarded as poor defender, but would be less of a liability in the American League where he could get at-bats as designated hitter.
Snyder will receive a $750,000 buyout rather than $6.75 million next season. The 30-year-old backstop batted .271/.376/.396 with three homers, 17 RBI and a .772 OPS over 119 plate appearances this season, but didn’t appear in another game after undergoing surgery on his lower back in June.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)