Oct 21, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
UPDATE: Apparently the interview went well, because Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that Young has left the Red Sox and rejoined the A’s.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reported yesterday that Oakland is interested in rehiring pitching coach Curt Young after he left the A’s to take the same job with the Red Sox this season and sure enough according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe permission has been granted for an interview.
That seems like mostly just a formality, because presumably general manager Billy Beane and the rest of the A’s decision-makers know exactly how they feel about Young after he spent the previous seven seasons as Oakland’s pitching coach.
Toss in the fact that Young is friends with Bob Melvin, who took over as manager around midseason, and the writing is definitely on the wall for a reunion following one shaky year in Boston.
It’s also worth noting that Clay Buchholz didn’t exactly seem upset at the possibility of Young leaving when asked about the situation during a radio interview yesterday, explaining how much more laid back Young was compared to former pitching coach John Farrell and indicating that few pitchers on the staff went to Young for help.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 109
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 153
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)