Oct 21, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
UPDATE: Apparently the interview went well, because Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that Young has left the Red Sox and rejoined the A’s.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reported yesterday that Oakland is interested in rehiring pitching coach Curt Young after he left the A’s to take the same job with the Red Sox this season and sure enough according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe permission has been granted for an interview.
That seems like mostly just a formality, because presumably general manager Billy Beane and the rest of the A’s decision-makers know exactly how they feel about Young after he spent the previous seven seasons as Oakland’s pitching coach.
Toss in the fact that Young is friends with Bob Melvin, who took over as manager around midseason, and the writing is definitely on the wall for a reunion following one shaky year in Boston.
It’s also worth noting that Clay Buchholz didn’t exactly seem upset at the possibility of Young leaving when asked about the situation during a radio interview yesterday, explaining how much more laid back Young was compared to former pitching coach John Farrell and indicating that few pitchers on the staff went to Young for help.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 142
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 66
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (145)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)