Oct 21, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
UPDATE: Apparently the interview went well, because Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that Young has left the Red Sox and rejoined the A’s.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reported yesterday that Oakland is interested in rehiring pitching coach Curt Young after he left the A’s to take the same job with the Red Sox this season and sure enough according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe permission has been granted for an interview.
That seems like mostly just a formality, because presumably general manager Billy Beane and the rest of the A’s decision-makers know exactly how they feel about Young after he spent the previous seven seasons as Oakland’s pitching coach.
Toss in the fact that Young is friends with Bob Melvin, who took over as manager around midseason, and the writing is definitely on the wall for a reunion following one shaky year in Boston.
It’s also worth noting that Clay Buchholz didn’t exactly seem upset at the possibility of Young leaving when asked about the situation during a radio interview yesterday, explaining how much more laid back Young was compared to former pitching coach John Farrell and indicating that few pitchers on the staff went to Young for help.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)