Oct 22, 2011, 7:38 PM EST
This bit of news will draw a grin from Mets fans.
Via Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels have added former Expos and Mets GM Omar Minaya to the list of candidates set to interview for the club’s opening at general manager.
The job was made vacant at the end of the regular season when Tony Reagins was forced to resign.
Minaya, 52, served as the Expos’ GM from 2002-2004, just before their move to Washington, D.C. He then took over the same post for the Mets and remained in that role from 2005-2010.
Minaya enjoyed a good amount of success early in his tenure with New York, but things turned ugly quickly at the end and the Mets basically flipped over their entire front office once he was finally canned.
The Angels have also courted Rays executive Andrew Friedman, White Sox vice president Rick Hahn, former Dodgers assistant GM Kim Ng, Diamondbacks vice president Jerry DiPoto, and Yankees executives Billy Eppler and Damon Oppenheimer. It’s an impressive list of candidates, of which there currently is no favorite.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)