Oct 22, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
Bud Selig touched on a number of hot topics with Bob Costas in an interview that aired on MLB Network last night, including realignment, interleague play, the use of instant replay and the long-rumored addition of two Wild Card teams.
You can read some of his comments via this recap from Adam Berry of MLB.com, but it appears the most imminent change may be with the All-Star Game next year. Selig still loves the home field advantage thing, so don’t look for any changes there, but he plans to do more to make sure some of the game’s biggest stars are represented.
“We’ll have some announcement after the first of the year. … I will expect everybody to be there,” Selig said. “The fact remains, it’s still the best of the All-Star Games. … We will do more for next year to make sure we have better representation.”
Derek Jeter, who was voted in by the fans, skipped out on the All-Star Game this year while several high-profile starting pitchers were unavailable, resulting in a long list of relievers pitching for the American League. One of the possibilities being tossed around is that the game will be pushed back to a Wednesday rather than a Tuesday. This may seem like a minor change, but it will enable those who started a game on Sunday to be eligible to pitch. There are still a lot of problems with the All-Star Game, but if the home field advantage thing isn’t going away, this is a very positive and logical development.
- One PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is good. The other PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is bad 64
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 36
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)