Oct 22, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
The first two games of the World Series were dominated by pitching, but we’ll likely see something very different as the series moves to Texas for Games 3, 4 and 5.
According to ESPN Park Factors, Rangers Ballpark in Arlington was the top run-scoring park and home run park in the majors this season compared to Busch Stadium, which was 25th and 28th in the majors, respectively. With the addition of the designated hitter under American League rules, there will be no easy outs. Also, while temperatures hovered right around 50 degrees in St. Louis, they should be in the mid 70s tonight in Arlington. These two sites couldn’t be much different.
And then we have tonight’s starting pitchers. Matt Harrison and Kyle Lohse. Harrison hasn’t pitched more than five innings in either of his two starts this postseason while Lohse has been terrible, allowing nine runs (eight earned) over 9 2/3 innings. One possible advantage for the Cardinals, Harrison wasn’t nearly as effective with Yorvit Torrealba behind the plate during the regular season (4.39 ERA over 14 starts) as he was with Mike Napoli (2.60 ERA over 17 starts), who will start at first base tonight.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com tweeted a little earlier that only one World Series in the past 36 years (Braves vs. Indians, 1995) have begun with three straight one-run games. If it happens tonight, my guess is the score will be a lot closer to 10-9 than 2-1.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 8
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 54
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)