Oct 22, 2011, 5:40 PM EST
The first two games of the World Series were dominated by pitching, but we’ll likely see something very different as the series moves to Texas for Games 3, 4 and 5.
According to ESPN Park Factors, Rangers Ballpark in Arlington was the top run-scoring park and home run park in the majors this season compared to Busch Stadium, which was 25th and 28th in the majors, respectively. With the addition of the designated hitter under American League rules, there will be no easy outs. Also, while temperatures hovered right around 50 degrees in St. Louis, they should be in the mid 70s tonight in Arlington. These two sites couldn’t be much different.
And then we have tonight’s starting pitchers. Matt Harrison and Kyle Lohse. Harrison hasn’t pitched more than five innings in either of his two starts this postseason while Lohse has been terrible, allowing nine runs (eight earned) over 9 2/3 innings. One possible advantage for the Cardinals, Harrison wasn’t nearly as effective with Yorvit Torrealba behind the plate during the regular season (4.39 ERA over 14 starts) as he was with Mike Napoli (2.60 ERA over 17 starts), who will start at first base tonight.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com tweeted a little earlier that only one World Series in the past 36 years (Braves vs. Indians, 1995) have begun with three straight one-run games. If it happens tonight, my guess is the score will be a lot closer to 10-9 than 2-1.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 79
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)