Oct 22, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
The first two games of the World Series were dominated by pitching, but we’ll likely see something very different as the series moves to Texas for Games 3, 4 and 5.
According to ESPN Park Factors, Rangers Ballpark in Arlington was the top run-scoring park and home run park in the majors this season compared to Busch Stadium, which was 25th and 28th in the majors, respectively. With the addition of the designated hitter under American League rules, there will be no easy outs. Also, while temperatures hovered right around 50 degrees in St. Louis, they should be in the mid 70s tonight in Arlington. These two sites couldn’t be much different.
And then we have tonight’s starting pitchers. Matt Harrison and Kyle Lohse. Harrison hasn’t pitched more than five innings in either of his two starts this postseason while Lohse has been terrible, allowing nine runs (eight earned) over 9 2/3 innings. One possible advantage for the Cardinals, Harrison wasn’t nearly as effective with Yorvit Torrealba behind the plate during the regular season (4.39 ERA over 14 starts) as he was with Mike Napoli (2.60 ERA over 17 starts), who will start at first base tonight.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com tweeted a little earlier that only one World Series in the past 36 years (Braves vs. Indians, 1995) have begun with three straight one-run games. If it happens tonight, my guess is the score will be a lot closer to 10-9 than 2-1.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 46
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 89
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 96
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (194)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (95)