Must-click link: Anatomy of a baseball trade

Oct 22, 2011, 9:30 AM EST

click here bigger

Here’s something that’s actually a couple of days old, but is just so interesting that it needs to be mentioned here.

Ever wonder how a baseball trade goes down? Rob Gloster of Bloomberg Businessweek has you covered. He wrote a fantastic behind-the-scenes piece detailing how the Braves and Astros agreed to the Michael Bourn trade in July. Really great work.

We give Ed Wade a hard time around here, usually deservedly so, but he went up a notch or two in my book after reading this piece. Still, would have been nice to get Minor or Delgado.

1. sknut - Oct 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM

That was a good read. Two things pop out to me

Wade didn’t counter offer Wren’s proposal you wonder if he had could he have gotten more.

If Wade had waited would he really have gotten better players from the mystery team? I know its a art and science between waiting for the right offer and not overplaying your hand.

I love reading inside baseball stuff like this, gives a new prepesctive for what happens during trades.

2. mattjg - Oct 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM

You mean one GM doesn’t fly to the other’s city to propose trades? I’m so disillusioned with the Moneyball movie.

But seriously, that was a really cool article.

3. halladaysbiceps - Oct 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Ring, ring.

Ed Wade: Hello, this is stupid.

Ruben Amaro: Hello, stupid. This is Mr. Amaro.

Ed Wade: Mr. Amaro, what player do you want from AAA Philadelphia?

Ruben Amaro: We will take Pence.

Ed Wade: Sure, no problem sir. As you know, my team is your team.

• mattjg - Oct 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Pence probably isn’t the best example, since for once the Phillies actually gave up talent to pry a player from the Astros, but your point is a good one. I’ll miss that pipeline of cheap talent once Houston’s new owner inevitably fires Wade.

4. casey5jones - Oct 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Good read. Perhaps Astros didn’t counter offer for Bourn because there is some amount of mutual respect between both front offices. I got that feeling from the language used by the two teams in emails and texts.

Good stuff, though.