Oct 23, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
There’s been quite a bit of talk about the Marlins having interest in bringing aboard troubled Cubs starter Carlos Zambrano. One report even stated that new Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen had contacted Big Z directly about a potential trade.
But it doesn’t sound like it’s going to happen.
According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Marlins’ higher-ups aren’t bullish on the idea of taking on Zambrano’s hefty contract, which carries an $18 million salary for 2012 and a $19.25 million vesting option for 2013. They’re also not convinced that he can bounce back from a 2011 campaign that saw him post a career-worst 4.82 ERA across 24 starts.
The Fish would rather channel their resources into a trade for Rays right-hander James Shields, who registered a 2.82 ERA, 1.04 WHIP and 225/65 K/BB ratio over 33 starts in 2011. His current deal is also far more affordable. Olney believes that outfielder Logan Morrison could be dangled in talks with Tampa.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?