Oct 23, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
Jamie Moyer still has his eyes on the prize.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, the veteran left-hander is continuing to make steady progress in his ongoing recovery from Tommy John elbow surgery and remains focused on returning to the major leagues for the 2012 season.
Moyer, who turns 49 years old in November, plans to begin contacting big league clubs within the next couple of weeks to gauge interest. He’s unlikely to find any kind of guaranteed deal, but a number of teams should be open to inviting him to spring camp.
“There will be naysayers, but they’ve been there my whole career,” Moyer said last week. “I don’t let them affect me in a negative way. If anything, I turn it into a positive. If this were the middle of July, I’d be at the stage where one more good bullpen session and I’d be ready to go out on a [minor-league] rehab assignment. I’ve gone through this rehab knowing that my arm and body will stop me if they have to. So far they haven’t.”
The 24-year major league veteran posted a 4.84 ERA and 1.10 WHIP over 111 2/3 innings in 2010. He sat out the entire 2011 season, but he’s fully expecting to be back to 100 percent health by next February.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (260)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)