Oct 23, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
Jamie Moyer still has his eyes on the prize.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, the veteran left-hander is continuing to make steady progress in his ongoing recovery from Tommy John elbow surgery and remains focused on returning to the major leagues for the 2012 season.
Moyer, who turns 49 years old in November, plans to begin contacting big league clubs within the next couple of weeks to gauge interest. He’s unlikely to find any kind of guaranteed deal, but a number of teams should be open to inviting him to spring camp.
“There will be naysayers, but they’ve been there my whole career,” Moyer said last week. “I don’t let them affect me in a negative way. If anything, I turn it into a positive. If this were the middle of July, I’d be at the stage where one more good bullpen session and I’d be ready to go out on a [minor-league] rehab assignment. I’ve gone through this rehab knowing that my arm and body will stop me if they have to. So far they haven’t.”
The 24-year major league veteran posted a 4.84 ERA and 1.10 WHIP over 111 2/3 innings in 2010. He sat out the entire 2011 season, but he’s fully expecting to be back to 100 percent health by next February.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)