Jamie Moyer still planning on making comeback in 2012

Oct 23, 2011, 1:08 PM EST

moyer getty Getty Images

Jamie Moyer still has his eyes on the prize.

According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, the veteran left-hander is continuing to make steady progress in his ongoing recovery from Tommy John elbow surgery and remains focused on returning to the major leagues for the 2012 season.

Moyer, who turns 49 years old in November, plans to begin contacting big league clubs within the next couple of weeks to gauge interest. He’s unlikely to find any kind of guaranteed deal, but a number of teams should be open to inviting him to spring camp.

“There will be naysayers, but they’ve been there my whole career,” Moyer said last week. “I don’t let them affect me in a negative way. If anything, I turn it into a positive. If this were the middle of July, I’d be at the stage where one more good bullpen session and I’d be ready to go out on a [minor-league] rehab assignment. I’ve gone through this rehab knowing that my arm and body will stop me if they have to. So far they haven’t.”

The 24-year major league veteran posted a 4.84 ERA and 1.10 WHIP over 111 2/3 innings in 2010. He sat out the entire 2011 season, but he’s fully expecting to be back to 100 percent health by next February.

1. aceshigh11 - Oct 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I admire this guy’s tenacity.

You’ve got to be a little crazy to want to pitch in the Majors at 49 years of age, but from everything I’ve read about him, he’s a class act. It would be a real hoot if he managed to make it onto a roster next year.

Good luck to him.

• lardman10 - Oct 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM

moyer likes cats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jRnBSECUTA

• permanantpresser - Oct 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM

• Old Gator - Oct 24, 2011 at 9:32 AM

It’s cheerful news, coming as it does in the wake of the story about Ted Williams finally giving up.

2. Kyle - Oct 23, 2011 at 1:36 PM

This guy is relentless. I’d love to see him catch on as a LOOGY with a contender and make one last run of it.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Oct 23, 2011 at 1:39 PM

i wouldnt want this guy on my team, 4.84 ERA in the NL? Thats terrible, anyone signing this guy would be better off giving some kid in the minors a shot cause this guy isnt going to get better at 49

• Bryz - Oct 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM

I don’t know, 1.10 WHIP and .235 batting average allowed looks pretty solid in my book. If only he could stop allowing so many home runs, he’d be just fine. Perhaps a trip to San Diego is in his future….

• Bryz - Oct 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM

.237 BAA. Close enough to .235.

• Bill - Oct 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Actually, it’s kind of remarkable that a pitcher in his late forties can post numbers that are essentially league average, or only slightly worse. He got some BABIP luck last season (.236, which is about fifty points below his career average), but you could do worse if you’re a team looking for, say, a bargain-bin long reliever.

4. dondada10 - Oct 23, 2011 at 7:14 PM

The Lefty/one-out-guy is probably the only role that Moyer could fill at this point, but I’d imagine him being very good at it. Besides, he’d probably be a fountain of knowledge to other pitchers. (I was gonna type “younger pitchers”, but I figured it was redundant.)

5. crankyfrankie - Oct 23, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I am cheering for him if for no other reason as he and I were in high school at the same time. Yes I was a senior and he was a freshman but still. He was always helpful to other Phils pitchers during his tenure here.

6. firedude7160 - Oct 23, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I hope he finds a spot somewhere. The man is nothing but class

7. stackers1 - Oct 24, 2011 at 8:23 AM

He was the only guy still playing MLB who is older than me. Now there’s nobody – but if he comes back, I’ll feel a little younger again.

8. rexadelphia8 - Oct 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Come back home to Philly bro

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5230)
  2. M. Kemp (3108)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2800)
  4. C. McGehee (2793)