Oct 23, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
The Rangers’ talented bullpen corps helped guide the team to convincing series wins in the ALDS against the Rays and the ALCS versus Detroit, but it’s now showing serious signs of fatigue three games into this 2011 Fall Classic. And it might only get worse.
Alexi Ogando, who yielded just four hits and one earned run over 10 1/3 innings in the first two rounds, has already surrendered four hits and five runs to the Cardinals in the World Series. Mike Gonzalez was pounded on Saturday. As was Scott Feldman. As was Darren Oliver. But it’s about more than results.
It’s also about usage.
The Texas bullpen threw a total of 117 pitches in Game 3’s 16-7 defeat. Game 4 starter Derek Holland made it through just 7 1/3 total frames in his two ALCS starts. Unless Holland dazzles unexpectedly, the Rangers’ relievers will again play a major role. And it’s safe to wonder whether they’re suited to meet the task.
The Cardinals carry a 2-1 series lead into Game 4 on Sunday night. Starting for them will be righty Edwin Jackson, who has also struggled to make it to the later innings. Might we see another softball-esque score?
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 61
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 67
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)