Oct 24, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Yuniesky Betancourt was horrible this season, batting .252 with a .271 on-base percentage and .381 slugging percentage to go along with his increasingly range-less defense at shortstop.
Alex Gonzalez was the only player in baseball to accumulate more plate appearances than Betancourt with a lower on-base percentage and only five players batted more often with a lower OPS.
Wins Above Replacement, which attempts to quantify a player’s all-around contributions offensively and defensively, pegged Betancourt as the fifth-worst regular in the entire National League.
Yet with the Brewers holding a $6 million option or $2 million buyout on Betancourt for next season general manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: “I thought Yuni Betancourt was a better player than what the critics said.”
Those “critics” have followed Betancourt from Seattle to Kansas City to Milwaukee, and their opinion somehow ends up being the same at every stop. And my guess is when it comes time to decide on that $6 million option Melvin won’t be putting his money where his mouth is.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)