Phillies decline 2012 options on Roy Oswalt and Brad Lidge

Oct 24, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT

oswalt wide getty Getty Images

As expected, the Phillies have declined their 2012 team options on both Roy Oswalt and Brad Lidge.

Instead of exercising his $16 million option the Phillies will give Oswalt a $2 million buyout and Lidge will get a $1.5 million buyout instead of a $12.5 million option.

In announcing the moves general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said that the Phillies will talk to both pitchers about returning at lesser salaries.

Lidge was limited to just 19 innings because of injuries and his raw stuff has declined significantly, but he still posted a 1.93 ERA and 23 strikeouts (along with 13 walks). Oswalt also missed time with back problems, but was plenty effective when healthy with a 3.69 ERA and 93/33 K/BB ratio in 139 innings.

Lidge may have to settle for a one-year deal and an opportunity to perhaps fight for a closer job, but if Oswalt is committed to playing beyond 2012 he should be able to command a multi-year contract.

1. halladaysbiceps - Oct 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Lidge 1 year, 2.5 mil. (if the Phillies want him back, which I would prefer not).

Oswalt 2 years, 16 mil. with incentives (I want Oswalt back).

Next.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 24, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Was going to say 2 years for Oswalt, then I remembered that he’s not as old as I thought he was. He’s actually younger than Halladay (by like 4 months).

Think you guys re-sign Lidge but have him swap with Madsen who closes and lets Lidge be the 8th inning guy.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I’m not in favor of bringing back Madson at the type of money he wants, being a Boras client. I do not think they bring him back for that type of change. Don’t get me wrong, I like Madson, but not to the tune of 3-4 years at 35-40 mil.

Out of the (3), I would do everything to bring Oswalt back. I take my chances with his pedigree. I think, if healthy, Oswalt can win the Phillies 15 games.

• flapjack3285 - Oct 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM

That seems a little low for Oswalt (Jake Westbrook and Carl Pavano got that much last year). I would think that they would have to start with at least what Carpenter got from the Cards (2/$21M) and then add incentives on top of that.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 24, 2011 at 6:20 PM

If you let Madsen go too, who do you have to close? And I don’t mean established closer either b/c you don’t need one, I mean a relief pitcher in general? The ones on the market (Papelbon, Krod, Lidge, Bell, etc) are all going to command a ton of money.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 24, 2011 at 6:51 PM

They like Bastardo….they also like Savery as a lefty out of the pen. Furthermore, they believe Schwimmer and Stutes will come good and Aumont will close in the future.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Gotcha. It’s one of the smart ways the Yanks have done business the last few years [save Soriano, who wasn't a Cashman signing]. Cheap bullpen arms, guys with lots of strikeouts are huge. Spend money on starting pitching and offense at premium positions which if you guys keep everyone you have a lot of.

• natstowngreg - Oct 24, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Yes Phillies, move Lidge back to closer. Pretty please with sugar on top. :)

• natstowngreg - Oct 25, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Ah, the Phillies infestation is heard from. :)

2. prionogenic - Oct 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM

There is no way Oswalt would take that little (salary or years). 2yrs/20Mil or 3yrs/25Mil is much more reasonable

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 24, 2011 at 4:39 PM

2 for 16mil, 2 for 20mil. I’m sure the Phillies are good with that. The point is no one in their right mind will give him 16mil a year. I think he comes back to the Phillies if the numbers are in the general ballpark to give it another go with Doc, Lee and Hamels. I think he enjoyed his time with those guys this year and has something to prove to them.

• bobulated - Oct 25, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Always a sellers market for starting pitching and even more so for a guy with Oswalt’s track record. I think he gets more than 8-10, less than 16 per but the Phillies are happy enough with their young arms to let him go elsewhere and not regret it.

3. Old Gator - Oct 24, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I can’t see Oswalt going anywhere else either. What interests me more right now is what moves the Feelies make to rejuvenate the batting order and stave off another late season offensive flameout, especially considering that Ryan Howard probably won’t be one hundred percent ready to go by April. Which of the core guys might be sacrificed for some youth and additional athleticism afield and on the basepaths? How different will that lineup look in the spring? Clearly, they need to do something.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 24, 2011 at 5:11 PM

My prediction is the offense won’t look dramatically different at all….insert Mayberry Jr. in LF or possibly 1B depending upon Howard. Some different bench players but that will be all.

• natstowngreg - Oct 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Agreed. My guess is that they will make one more run at the championship with the current core. Though there may also be changes at SS (unless Rollins backs off his demand for 5 years) and 3B (Cholly has already said he’d like to upgrade there).

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 24, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I don’t see them adding anybody significant at 3rd this year. Really, who is out there that would present a significant upgrade? I think Rollins will be back. They will overpay for him. I can see them giving him a 4 year deal. I also see Rollins moving to 3rd base eventually.

4. hansob - Oct 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I’m having a hard time with the Oswalt decision being a “no-brainer” unless you think he’s significantly more likely to miss starts next year than John Q Pitcher.

$14M (which is the additional amount the Phillies would have to have paid for his services vs the buyout) doesn’t seem like that much for a proven starter. Especially since it’s just the one year commitment.

But like I said, the fact that it’s a back injury may be scaring away the Phils. I just wonder if it were a number of other big market teams who didn’t have 3 aces, Worley, and Blanton, if the decision would have been the same.

5. airedale1950 - Oct 24, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Yankees with scarf up Oswalt, guarantee him 16.5 for 2 seasons with incentives.
    He can pitch in the A.L….maybe a number 3 on yanks, or a #4

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 24, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Why would he go to the AL for 8 million a season, when the Phillies will likely offer more than that?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 24, 2011 at 8:36 PM

And why would the Yanks want him?

6. gallaghedj311 - Oct 24, 2011 at 9:10 PM

No way Oswalt is back. Roy cliff Cole Vance sloppy joe. Kendrick too. Cole gets a raise. Gotta figure out SS…. No way u spend on Oswalt.

7. leftywildcat - Oct 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Keep Oswalt — whatever it takes. Need the Fab Five intact. Let Blanton go.

Let Madson and Lidge go. Bastardo and Stutes and Savery close. Kendrick for long relief.

Jaime Moyer for Pitching Coach and Jim Thome for Hitting Coach?

• phillyfrank - Oct 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I’d love to see Jamie Moyer back in Phillies pinstripes.

• deepstblu - Oct 25, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Also Danys Baez, who was helpful to the younger guys this year. But like Moyer, he probably still thinks he can pitch.

• chiefagc5675 - Oct 25, 2011 at 8:43 AM

The Phillies don’t have pinstripes.

8. dmccarrie - Oct 25, 2011 at 7:46 AM

I don’t know if they’ll sign Lidge simply for the fact that they still have another year of Contreras and I would think they want him to fill that 8th Inning Role. If not him then Bastardo.

9. sportsdrenched.com - Oct 25, 2011 at 12:23 PM

but if Oswalt is committed to playing

I think this statement is being overlooked. His commitment has been questioned before by Phillies fans. And I don’t know the guy, or even his B-I-L’s brother who teaches my neighbors kid at the local CC. But reading his public comments I wonder if he’s committed too.

Of course, paychecks with seven figures can make me committed to a lot of things if I don’t want to be.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3286)