What did Ron Washington say to Derek Holland last night?

Oct 24, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

World Series Cardinals Rangers Baseball AP

Ron Washington and Derek Holland provided two of my favorite moments from last night’s game.

The first came when Washington took Holland by the shoulders and gave him a dugout pep talk moments before taking the mound in the first inning, trying to motivate the young left-hander who’d struggled in his previous two starts.

Holland shared some of the pep talk details with Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas:

The big thing was he was talking to me, motivating me more than anything. He said, “I know what your game plan is and you’re going to go in to hitters. Just don’t be hitting anybody.” He was telling me to stay in control, be relaxed and I’d be fine.

Injured reliever Darren O’Day noted afterward that Washington “does that a lot with Holland” and last night it certainly worked, as the second caught-on-camera moment came when the manager went out to the mound in the ninth inning to chat with Holland before eventually deciding to end his bid for a complete-game shutout in favor of Neftali Feliz.

Holland recapped that chat as well:

He’s like, “Nope, you ain’t going out there son.” I said, “Come on, Wash. You got to let me go. I can get this. I’m going to try to get a double play and do everything I can.” He said, “Nope, you ain’t getting out there. Just watch the crowd reaction when you get out of here, son.” I said, “All right, I’ll see you later Wash. Thanks.”

That’s a lot of “son” mentions in a relatively short chat and if Holland really ended things with “I’ll see you later Wash” he’s my new favorite player.

1. mdpickles - Oct 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I thought they were arguing over which flavor of sunflower seeds are best. I was way off.

2. halladaysbicep - Oct 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

“Look son, see this ‘stache, you have to earn this. That pedo look you have, everyone is creeped out by it unless its covered with ‘snow’ you hear me? So get out there and give me 8 and I will give you 8″

3. Jonny 5 - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I think they left out the more important details though…

In the first pep talk he was promising Holland a home cooked meal starring Mrs. Washington’s slow simmered pork chops with carmalized onions and brown sugar, if he pitched well enough.

In the second he was asking him what he wanted as a side dish..

• kopy - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Now I’m hungry, and my lunch that I brought today sucks.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

lol!! whoops!

• Old Gator - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I suppose that on the scale of political correctness, “son” would be preferable to “boy.”

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM

much prefer “son” to “boy”

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM

mmmm pork chops and onions in sugar,, mmmmmm slaw side please,, and pie, hot, with ice cream pleeeeeeeease

4. phukyouk - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Washington: Just take it easy and pitch your heart out, is there anything you want or need?
    Holland: to be honest i could really go for a coke right about noe
    Washington: (reaching into his pocket) well this is all i got left
    Holland: WASH! i meant a cola, Jesus Christ!
    Washington: More for me, Pitch a good game I’m going to do an eight ball in the locker room
    Holland: At least its not Chicken and Beer, the League frown upon that

This really happened, i Heard it from a secret source.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM

BOOOOO! With love from a Phillies fan.

• medtxpack - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM

weaksauce bro.

• phukyouk - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:13 PM

‘Splain why

• phukyouk - Oct 24, 2011 at 1:36 PM

sooooooooo noone can explain why? cool.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Devoid of wittiness or originality, perhaps?

5. gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM

not sure why, but the Washington and coke jokes seem uncool, shallow, done and done again,,,, Robin Williams did them best.
    as a youngster I understood what was up, why some guys were more likely to hit well early in the game,,, I remember getting on the field one fan day and stepping into the dugout head and thinking, this is where “Bob” did his lines in the fifth,,, shit was wrong. Wash has copped to it and it is done. Somehow, tarnishing what is a good series with shit humor tarnishes,,,, plenty to joke about with Wash, all that jumping and pumping is comic enough, like the anti TLR, without having to bash on his past.
    done plenty in my time, might not say no to a taste more, but that was then
    close to moving past the steroid mess,, care even less about that,, or greenies,, or whatever beyond what happens day to day,,
    maybe I hope that for a good World Series you all could up your game too, not regress,
    thumbs down whatever, just sayin you all make yourselves more the fool with schoolyard shite than Wash does jumping with glee and pumping his boys up to win a Championship for him and themselves,,,
    all sounds a little sour maybe coming from,,,,,,
    shutting up and getting back to my regularly schedule meds and programming
    go game 6!

• halladaysbicep - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Your spelling and punctuation are more “schoolyard shite” than the good fun coke humor found here.
      It’s not like Washington killed a hooker on a coke binge night (that we know of).
      He did coke when everyone else did. Chances are you would not have been conceived if it wasn’t for coke. Embrace it and have fun with life. (comma comma comma comma comma comma)

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM

try reading some Cormac McCarthy
        Just getting some thoughts out, you need punctuation? I’m not so sure, you seem to have read it. I thank you for getting thru it and responding, you are brighter than you let on.
        Still, you come near to saying something about my mother, and, well, that just ain’t cool,,, she is way sober and mostly boring really,, Maybe you should try some Kerowac,,,, often have wished she was closer to understanding most of us humans and our weaknesses, do love my Mom bro,,,
        I think what bothers me is that Wash seems to be sincerely enjoying this ride his team is on, and that his team responds to him, and reaching back cheaply into the past to comment on some of the beauty moments of now is unfair to him, the games they have given us so far, and what may come yet.
        Really, not to be personal,, but something touched me wrong and had to say so. Yes,, embrace it all, the differences are what make us all fun, take some of your own advice there bicepts
        Having expressed my discomfort with it, party on. Let the old jokes of coke and the 80’s rain down.

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:07 PM

punctuation is for unedumucated fo’s,, so as they can follow who is sayin what

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

My fave is the one about the game being slow and there is just this long white line from my position in LF to home plate,,,,,,,,,, and,, well your Honor,,,,, ehehehhe

• phukyouk - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:12 PM

“Long white Line”
        Dude, you just had to go the coke route, didn’t you? low blow man… low blow

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:16 PM

yup,, too much reminiscing with Robin Williams and all,,,
        just had to throw my turd out there too
        I will now take my shit to bed,, good nite,, must rest up for tomorrow’s game,, it is in the morning on this side of the Pacific
        go game 5!

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM

gonna sleep with some Grand Master Flash in my skull and wake head bopping

• phukyouk - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM

wait… so that I understand you ripped into me in a 300 line tirade above about making a coke joke and then you just go ahead and do it like 30 min later?

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:36 PM

yup, seems so,,,
        gonna take my confused and addled mind to bed before my mother comes downstairs and kicks my ass
        sorry about that,, to much Robin Williams, giggling, memories,, and damn, don’t take the beer out of the club house, next will be the bleachers,,,, oh
        yup,, really sorry about going all ‘Mom’ on you all,, am sure it is my own issue,
        Party on All!

• halladaysbicep - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM

You confirmed my theory on your conception..

6. gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Wash promised to do the legend but never seen Gumby Funky Chicken if he won tonight

7. Kyle - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Loved the final chat they had on the mound. I thought for a second that Holland had talked his way into staying.

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM

No BoSox references to beer and getting first shot at the fried chicken if he left a couple outs early?

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:39 PM

sorry Kyle,, I enjoyed it too. Wash seemed so pumped up, and honestly bummed that he took a bit long to tell the kid what a great night he had and that he was done. Maybe he just told him to soak up the cheers, walk slow to the dugout and not step on the chalk on the way. It was a moment. I am really hoping for more of the same from this series.

8. Francisco (FC) - Oct 24, 2011 at 12:45 PM

We had a colleague in my old job in Mexico who usually bought a six-pack of coke cans and would share almost every day. He eventually earned the moniker “Coke Lord.” He asked that we not use that nickname when talking to US Border and Customs whenever we had to fly to a customer site in the US.

9. pellypell - Oct 24, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I have it on good authority, it went exactly like this:

“Some of you are thinking you won’t pitch. Others, that you can’t pitch, they all say that, until they’re out there. [He picks up a baseball.] Throw this towards another man’s bat, and the crowd will applaud and love you for it. In time, you may even begin to love them for that. Ultimately, we’re all dead men. Sadly, we cannot choose when, but we can decide how we meet that end, so that we are remembered as men.”

All the trade deadline news to know