Blue Jays change policy, would block John Farrell from interviewing with Red Sox

Oct 25, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT

john-farrell-blue-jays-presser

There’s been some speculation that the Red Sox may be interested in hiring former pitching coach and current Blue Jays manager John Farrell to replace Terry Francona.

Because of that the Blue Jays have changed their policy about granting teams permission to speak to their employees and team president Paul Beeston released this statement:

Due to the distraction caused by media speculation regarding our employee permission policy, the Toronto Blue Jays have amended their policy and will not grant permission for lateral moves.

In other words, Farrell wouldn’t be allowed to interview for the Red Sox’s manager gig as long as he’s under contract as the Blue Jays’ manager.

1. Francisco (FC) - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM

It says lateral moves though. I’m guessing that means that if Farrell is offered something like scouting director or what have you then there might be permission. That’s totally made up to make a point, I doubt Farrell would entertain such an offer.

2. aceshigh11 - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Farrell got some criticism in Boston (who doesn’t?) when he was the pitching coach, but I thought he did a pretty good job, especially when compared to his successor.

The Sox could use someone like Farrell, but clearly that isn’t going to happen.

3. mornelithe - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Always liked Farrell myself, thought he did a great job as pitching coach in Boston, and that he’d be up to the task of taking over for Francona, should the time come. It was hardly surprising to see him make the move though, since most sub-coaches always dream of landing the head coaches job.

Would this really be lateral though? The Jays were 81-81, wouldn’t this be a step up from that team? ;)

• aceshigh11 - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Between the Jays finishing .500 in the AL East, and with the Sox’ late-season collapse…

…yeah, I’d say it’s fairly lateral, until proven otherwise.

• mornelithe - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM

At least the Sox always had a chance, all the way down to the very last game of the season. The Jays never did. ;)

Besides, it was a joke anyway.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM

making jokes at the expense of the beaver wrestlers isn’t funny. a person who would do such a thing would insult puppies, glare at kittens and tell short people to ‘find a ladder’ for higher shelved items at the grocery store. may dog have mercy on your sole.

• mornelithe - Oct 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I live 2 hours away at most, from the Beaver wrestlers, and if there’s one thing I could care less about, it’s them. When they start coming to the NE kingdom, and obeying our traffic laws, I’ll start caring, until then they’re merely something to poke fun at. I’m certainly happy Farrell got his chance at Head Coach, he earned it from his years w/ Boston. But beyond that, I could care less about the BJ’s, Toronto or Canada.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2011 at 3:38 PM

If we leave our igloos, saddle our polar bears and hitch up the dog teams to march upon you, you will care. Now quit poking fun at us or we’ll come to your nice NE town and turn right on red lights till you beg for mercy.

• mornelithe - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:41 AM

Ahh yes, Canadian genius at it’s finest. Performing a maneuver, completely legal in my State, to annoy us. Fascinating tactic you’ve devised.

4. bigleagues - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I think the BJ’s would have been ridiculed endlessly if they had allowed this to go any further.

Farrell isn’t my only choice, but he’s clearly my top choice.

• foreverchipper10 - Oct 25, 2011 at 6:51 PM

There has to be a better way to shorten Blue Jays…..

5. proudlycanadian - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I was planning to write the following scenario after someone from the Sox first leaked the story on Sunday that internally, they had discussed Farrell. “Good morning Jays, we want permission to talk with your manager.” “That is very interseting. We would want either Pedroia or Ellesbury as compensation.” You have to be kidding. We were thinking of Lackey or Wakefield.” “Get lost! The price has just gone up to include Bard.” CLICK! Yesterday Farrell sent an email to media sources in Toronto indicating that he planned to stay in Toronto.

• Brian Donohue - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I’ve said this right here in this space several times throughout the season: Farrell has proven himself as (to my mind at least) one of the top 5 managers in all of baseball. The Rogers clan or whoever’s running that shop up north needs to ensure that he stays in their dugout for the long haul. If that happens and they make a few smart moves/acquisitions, the J’s can be contenders in the toughest division in baseball for years to come, starting next April. I’m not kidding: one more good starter, a closer, and a threatening LH bat behind Bautista in the lineup, and this team’s a major force. And that would be a very refreshing development in the game.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Those very sentiments are what will get me through the long cold winter that looms, Mr. Donohaue. Papelbon as closer, Fielder DH/1B, the emergence of Drabek as a starter & good health to McGowan all season, may dog hear my words of prayer…

• Mark - Oct 25, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I’ve heard AA doesn’t want to spend in FA, but I feel like the Jays can’t waste the gift they were given in Bautista. You get a guy like that out of nowhere, who’s still in his prime, and you have to take advantage of that.

Getting Fielder would be huge. I agree they need to trade for some pitching, although I think Alvarez should come up big next season. The bullpen is in better shape than I thought, assuming FF returns and Carreno’s emergence is legit. I’m fairly confident with a FF, Janssen, Carreno back end, and with a decent lefty it could be much improved over last season.

Jays need to strike when Bautista is still mashing like this. It’d be a shame if they waited another year or two.

As for this Farrell thing, I don’t know if he’s a great manager, but I’d hope they keep him more to spite the Sox than anything else.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 25, 2011 at 5:13 PM

FF? Frank Francisco? Dear Lord, Rogers Centre denizens took out their favorite prayer item every time that mad man went on the mound to save a game, there has to be better options. Some folks say that the closer is overrated but it’s clear that some pitchers are just sucktastic at it.

• Mark - Oct 25, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Frank Fransisco wasn’t bad at all. He sucked in May which isn’t surprising given he was coming off an injury and hadn’t pitched in spring training. The rest of the season he was outstanding, save for 2 games in July.

I think people really underestimate the job he did this year.

• tashkalucy - Oct 25, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I’ve been saying for over a month that the Red Sox and Yankees will be fighting one another for 3rd place in the AL East for the next 5-7 years.

The Rays are already competitive and will get better. The Jays have a solid young foundation, and are now marketing themselves as ‘Canada’s Team’, putting the Jays on cable systems throughout Canada. The increased revenues will mean a payroll north of $150M in the next few years.

The only way the Red Sox and Yankees dominated the AL East for the past few decades was to throw gobs of cable money at free agents and highly (over) paid players on long term contracts whose teams just wanted to get out from under the money. And when those teams made mistakes – which was often (headed by the radically overrated Epstein and Cashman) the teams just threw even more money out. Example – Red Sox gave a terrible long term contract to Lowell. Teams other then the Yankees would have had to play him and get stuck with his miserable performance. But Epstein just went out and signed Beltre for even more then Lowell was getting. Only the Red Sox and Yankees could afford to do this sort of irresponsible thing.

But the other teams have learned to make quality signings, and most importantly – develop their own pitcher – which the Red Sox and Yankees seldom do….they keep trying to buy theirs.

Am looking forward to seeing how the national sports media (headquartered in the NE) handles this. OK, there can be a year of ‘What’s wrong with the Red Sox’? ‘What’s wrong with the Yankees’? But by then Jeter, Rivera will be over the hill, and Youkalis will be being bad-rapped by Red Sox fans as he leaves to play for a quality organization that is a contender.

Farrell’s better off where he is……and he knows it!

6. dirtyharry1971 - Oct 25, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Can’t understand why anyone would want Farrell, its not like the jays have gotten any better since he became the coach but then again that could be the fault of the cheapo ownership who won’t spend a dime on the team.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3397)