Oct 25, 2011, 11:17 AM EDT
Chris Carpenter threw 101 pitches last night, holding the Rangers to two runs over seven innings, and afterward wasted no time saying that he’ll be available out of the bullpen if the series goes to Game 7.
For now Kyle Lohse is the Cardinals’ scheduled Game 7 starter, but manager Tony La Russa’s confidence in him isn’t exactly at an all-time high and Carpenter responded “absolutely” when asked if he’d be able to pitch some in relief.
Adding to the intrigue is that there’s a 75 percent chance of rain for tomorrow, so if Game 6 is pushed back to Thursday and the Cardinals can extend the series with a victory Carpenter (and C.J. Wilson) would be working on three days’ rest in Game 7.
Carpenter started on three days’ rest for the first time in his career during the NLDS, although it didn’t go particularly well. And rain or shine Ron Washington has made it very clear that Matt Harrison will start Game 7 for the Rangers.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 42
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 119
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (119)