Oct 25, 2011, 11:17 AM EDT
Chris Carpenter threw 101 pitches last night, holding the Rangers to two runs over seven innings, and afterward wasted no time saying that he’ll be available out of the bullpen if the series goes to Game 7.
For now Kyle Lohse is the Cardinals’ scheduled Game 7 starter, but manager Tony La Russa’s confidence in him isn’t exactly at an all-time high and Carpenter responded “absolutely” when asked if he’d be able to pitch some in relief.
Adding to the intrigue is that there’s a 75 percent chance of rain for tomorrow, so if Game 6 is pushed back to Thursday and the Cardinals can extend the series with a victory Carpenter (and C.J. Wilson) would be working on three days’ rest in Game 7.
Carpenter started on three days’ rest for the first time in his career during the NLDS, although it didn’t go particularly well. And rain or shine Ron Washington has made it very clear that Matt Harrison will start Game 7 for the Rangers.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)