Oct 25, 2011, 9:30 PM EST
Hong-Chih Kuo was scheduled to pitch for the Chinese Taipei national team in the 2011 Taiwan All-Star series next week against a group of MLB players, but it turns out he’ll skip the series due to left elbow soreness.
Kuo has undergone four procedures on his elbow during his career, including two Tommy John surgeries.
Dodgers’ medical services director Stan Conte told Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles that while Kuo is being held out of the series as a precaution, he is scheduled to be examined by team physician Dr. Neal ElAttrache on Wednesday morning.
“He was ramping back up and doing fine, but he felt pain in his elbow,” Conte said. “He called me … I thought it over, and with his history of elbow problems, we wanted to be sure. He didn’t sound real confident that his elbow is OK throwing (in Taiwan), so we decided not to send him there.”
Kuo, 30, was one of the most effective relievers in the sport in 2010, but posted an ugly 9.00 ERA over 27 innings this season and missed six weeks due to a recurring anxiety condition which affected his command.
Kuo made $2.725 million this season in his second year of arbitration-eligibility, but is likely to be non-tendered this winter. He hinted at the possibility of retirement in September, but Kuo’s agent Alan Chang said earlier this week that his client is committed to pitching in 2012.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)