Oct 25, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Hong-Chih Kuo was scheduled to pitch for the Chinese Taipei national team in the 2011 Taiwan All-Star series next week against a group of MLB players, but it turns out he’ll skip the series due to left elbow soreness.
Kuo has undergone four procedures on his elbow during his career, including two Tommy John surgeries.
Dodgers’ medical services director Stan Conte told Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles that while Kuo is being held out of the series as a precaution, he is scheduled to be examined by team physician Dr. Neal ElAttrache on Wednesday morning.
“He was ramping back up and doing fine, but he felt pain in his elbow,” Conte said. “He called me … I thought it over, and with his history of elbow problems, we wanted to be sure. He didn’t sound real confident that his elbow is OK throwing (in Taiwan), so we decided not to send him there.”
Kuo, 30, was one of the most effective relievers in the sport in 2010, but posted an ugly 9.00 ERA over 27 innings this season and missed six weeks due to a recurring anxiety condition which affected his command.
Kuo made $2.725 million this season in his second year of arbitration-eligibility, but is likely to be non-tendered this winter. He hinted at the possibility of retirement in September, but Kuo’s agent Alan Chang said earlier this week that his client is committed to pitching in 2012.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 0
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)