Oct 25, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Hong-Chih Kuo was scheduled to pitch for the Chinese Taipei national team in the 2011 Taiwan All-Star series next week against a group of MLB players, but it turns out he’ll skip the series due to left elbow soreness.
Kuo has undergone four procedures on his elbow during his career, including two Tommy John surgeries.
Dodgers’ medical services director Stan Conte told Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles that while Kuo is being held out of the series as a precaution, he is scheduled to be examined by team physician Dr. Neal ElAttrache on Wednesday morning.
“He was ramping back up and doing fine, but he felt pain in his elbow,” Conte said. “He called me … I thought it over, and with his history of elbow problems, we wanted to be sure. He didn’t sound real confident that his elbow is OK throwing (in Taiwan), so we decided not to send him there.”
Kuo, 30, was one of the most effective relievers in the sport in 2010, but posted an ugly 9.00 ERA over 27 innings this season and missed six weeks due to a recurring anxiety condition which affected his command.
Kuo made $2.725 million this season in his second year of arbitration-eligibility, but is likely to be non-tendered this winter. He hinted at the possibility of retirement in September, but Kuo’s agent Alan Chang said earlier this week that his client is committed to pitching in 2012.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 0
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 45
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 24
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)