Oct 25, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
There was a point during the Theo Epstein press conference today in which Epstein said that before he officially resigned from the Red Sox he felt like Milton from the movie “Office Space.” A man without a job, but no one would actually tell him about it.
From the sounds of it, Cubs manager Mike Quade is going to be another character from “Office Space.” Tom Smykowski, the guy who interviews with “the Bobs,” telling them why he should be entitled to keep his job. Here’s Theo on Quade’s future with the Cubs:
“Mike seems like a great guy and he has developed a great reputation over many decades in this game. I look forward to sitting down with him in person as a first step, sharing with him my vision for the organization. I’d like to hear his vision for the organization … We have to talk up some things that have happened the last year or so,” Epstein said. “I look forward to that process of exchanging information, sharing our visions and we’ll get together as a group and decide where we go from there.”
Not to be too harsh, but I have this feeling that Quade is not in the Cubs’ future. In fact, here’s how I envision that interview going:
Quade: Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the $%#@! players so the front office doesn’t have to! I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can’t you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?!
Theo: Yeah, um, I’m gonna have to ask you to not come back as the Cubs manager next year, Mike, mmm-kay?
Quade: It’s a “Jump to Conclusions” mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor… and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO!
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 2
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)