Oct 25, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
There was a point during the Theo Epstein press conference today in which Epstein said that before he officially resigned from the Red Sox he felt like Milton from the movie “Office Space.” A man without a job, but no one would actually tell him about it.
From the sounds of it, Cubs manager Mike Quade is going to be another character from “Office Space.” Tom Smykowski, the guy who interviews with “the Bobs,” telling them why he should be entitled to keep his job. Here’s Theo on Quade’s future with the Cubs:
“Mike seems like a great guy and he has developed a great reputation over many decades in this game. I look forward to sitting down with him in person as a first step, sharing with him my vision for the organization. I’d like to hear his vision for the organization … We have to talk up some things that have happened the last year or so,” Epstein said. “I look forward to that process of exchanging information, sharing our visions and we’ll get together as a group and decide where we go from there.”
Not to be too harsh, but I have this feeling that Quade is not in the Cubs’ future. In fact, here’s how I envision that interview going:
Quade: Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the $%#@! players so the front office doesn’t have to! I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can’t you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?!
Theo: Yeah, um, I’m gonna have to ask you to not come back as the Cubs manager next year, Mike, mmm-kay?
Quade: It’s a “Jump to Conclusions” mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor… and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO!
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 30
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)