Oct 25, 2011, 3:52 PM EDT
Well, at least this explains why he couldn’t get anyone out.
John Lackey traveled to California to have his elbow examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum and the Red Sox announced today that he’ll undergo Tommy John surgery, knocking him out for all of 2012 and perhaps part of 2013.
Lackey will earn $15.25 million while rehabbing next season and is also owed $15.25 million in both 2013 and 2014.
Undergoing elbow surgery also triggers a 2015 option in his contract for the MLB minimum salary, so the Red Sox just got themselves another year of Lackey and more importantly are now able to stretch his contract over another season to lessen their luxury tax figures.
The decision to sign Lackey to a five-year, $82.5 million contract was obviously one of Theo Epstein’s worst and in an amusing twist Epstein’s replacement as Red Sox general manager, Ben Cherington, made his first official act as GM announcing Lackey’s surgery decision.
Boston now has two clear openings in the rotation behind Jon Lester, Josh Beckett, and Clay Buchholz. And it turns out Lackey was pitching (horribly) through a torn elbow ligament while being ripped to shreds by the same fans and media members who constantly want everyone to play through injuries. Of course, it also turns out the Red Sox kept giving the ball to a guy with a torn elbow ligament for key September starts.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)