Oct 25, 2011, 3:52 PM EDT
Well, at least this explains why he couldn’t get anyone out.
John Lackey traveled to California to have his elbow examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum and the Red Sox announced today that he’ll undergo Tommy John surgery, knocking him out for all of 2012 and perhaps part of 2013.
Lackey will earn $15.25 million while rehabbing next season and is also owed $15.25 million in both 2013 and 2014.
Undergoing elbow surgery also triggers a 2015 option in his contract for the MLB minimum salary, so the Red Sox just got themselves another year of Lackey and more importantly are now able to stretch his contract over another season to lessen their luxury tax figures.
The decision to sign Lackey to a five-year, $82.5 million contract was obviously one of Theo Epstein’s worst and in an amusing twist Epstein’s replacement as Red Sox general manager, Ben Cherington, made his first official act as GM announcing Lackey’s surgery decision.
Boston now has two clear openings in the rotation behind Jon Lester, Josh Beckett, and Clay Buchholz. And it turns out Lackey was pitching (horribly) through a torn elbow ligament while being ripped to shreds by the same fans and media members who constantly want everyone to play through injuries. Of course, it also turns out the Red Sox kept giving the ball to a guy with a torn elbow ligament for key September starts.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte