Lance Berkman to bat cleanup in Game 6 vs. Rangers

Oct 25, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT

World Series Rangers Cardinals Baseball

As expected, the Cardinals are making some changes to their lineup for Game 6 of the World Series against the Rangers.

According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa confirmed that Lance Berkman will bat cleanup against the right-hander Colby Lewis tomorrow night (weather permitting, of course) while Matt Holliday will be dropped down to the fifth spot. This was the same arrangement the Cards used against Lewis back in Game 2.

Holliday is batting just .167 (3-for-18) during the World Series and for what it’s worth, SI’s Jon Heyman hears that his right middle finger injury “is a lot worse” than he’s letting on. Rangers manager Ron Washington will likely continue to pitch around Albert Pujols in crucial situations, but Berkman at least offers a bit more protection at the moment.

1. fearlessleader - Oct 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Funny—when I saw yesterday’s lineup, I immediately picked up the phone to call Tony La Russa and say “Are you kidding me? Holliday hasn’t had a decent at-bat in the entire series. If you bat him fourth, the Rangers will be richly rewarded for pitching around Albert all night long. Don’t be an idiot—put Berkman in the clean-up spot!” …..but apparently my call never went through.

• spudchukar - Oct 25, 2011 at 8:59 PM

While I still like Lance a Lot, his numbers from the right side of the plate dwarf those from the left side.

• fearlessleader - Oct 25, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Backwards—he hits much better (and for more power) lefty. And right now, he’s hitting better, and smarter, from both sides than Holliday, who looks lost.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 26, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Yep…and Colby is a righty so Lance will be hitting from his more natural side.

• nprakash5 - Oct 26, 2011 at 3:59 AM

I called and asked him to bat Lance at cleanup but he heard it as Holliday. I have since called him ’10 times’ to say it is my fault. :)

2. nameisstan - Oct 26, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Tony La Russa takes responsibility for bullpen mix-up…………………………

WHO CARES! It doesn’t change the outcome of the game and maybe the series.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3990)