Oct 25, 2011, 11:00 PM EDT
New Red Sox GM Ben Cherington has plenty of important decisions awaiting him this offseason, but the status of Marco Scutaro looks like an easy call.
Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald was told by “a source familiar with the Red Sox thinking” that the club is leaning toward picking up Scutaro’s $6 million option for 2012.
Scutaro, who turns 36 on Sunday, batted .299/.358/.423 with seven home runs, 54 RBI and a .781 OPS over 445 plate appearances this season. While the Red Sox collapsed down the stretch, Scutaro certainly did his part to keep them afloat, batting .387 with two homers, 21 RBI and a 1.019 OPS in September. Jed Lowrie was bothered by a lingering shoulder injury this season while Jose Iglesias struggled in the minors, so bringing Scutaro back would allow the Red Sox to focus on upgrading in other areas.
The Red Sox would owe $1.5 million in the form of a buyout if they decline the option, but Scutaro also has a $3 million player option to return in 2012.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 10
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 102
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (102)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)