That one guy was right! It was Theo Epstein at the Starbucks!

Oct 25, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT

Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein was just introduced as the new President of the Chicago Cubs. There’s a press conference going on right now and Epstein is saying all manner of press conferency things.

I’m sure we’ll have more about that later, but we felt the need to break away to report on the bombshell that was dropped.  Remember how that “life-long Cubs fan” named Noah Pinzur made news a couple of weeks ago when he said he saw Theo Epstein at a Starbucks near Wrigley Field?  Well, someone asked Epstein about that at the press conference and Epstein confirmed that, yes, it was him.

The truth will always come out in the end.

1. Clinton Manitoba - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM

I once saw Beetlejuice from Howard Stern eating at a Cracker Barrel. Wonder if he is buying the franchise or just one store.. time will tell.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Finally, we have something in common. I too have seen Bettlejuice and actually tossed him in a midget tossing contest. 100% true. Years ago, a bunch of us were at a club in Philly for a New Years Eve party. Well, Bettlejuice and the Howard Stern girls were there at the party. Bettlejuice was dressed in a Superman costume with a harness attached to him. I payed 10 bucks and was able to grab his harness and throw him as far as I could on these padded mats. Funniest thing I ever saw.

• halladaysbicep - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:26 PM

cool story bro

• Clinton Manitoba - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:38 PM

That is an extremely offensive story, one I would not admit to, or repeat.

And the fact that we saw the same person one time means nothing, and I would not consider that having something in common. I am actually a little ashamed that we are both Americans, or watch the same sport, or even visit the same site.
        Reading the crap you post on here actually separates us greatly. You are a vile, immature, disgusting excuse for a human.

Go ahead and post your typical “F You” retort.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Extremely offensive story? Are you joking? You are pretty sanctimonious with that statement. No. I won’t insult you. It’s not worth my time.

You calling me vile is a compliment. I thank you.

• El Bravo - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM

What did the five fingers say to the face again????

• kopy - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM

CHARLIE MURPHY!

• nolanwiffle - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I am with Biceps on this one. Nothing terribly offensive here. Calling someone a vile, disgusting excuse for a human being might be a tad excessive for a baseball blog.

• Clinton Manitoba - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Well I know a few little people (some prefer dwarf, some little people) but they all are offended by the term “midget” and even more offended by the Midget Tossing. It came up in a conversation before and they are very offended by this exploitation practice. Some that feel like it’s their only means of income are essentially ruining it for the rest and are frowned upon.

I mean really, open your eyes, you wouldn’t hold a watermelon eating contest for African Americans only, or have a money grab booth for Jews only would you?

And being called vile may be a compliment in Philly because there are worst things to be, but for the rest of us, its an insult…

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Manitoba,

Question: You are obviously familiar with the Howard Stern show and know who Bettlejuice is because of your initial comment above. So, I think it’s safe to assume you have listened to Stern in the past or continue to do so. Correct? If this is the case, you calling me vile is kind of ironic, no? What I wrote is tame in comparison to what Stern put’s on his show that you listen to.

You seem to be a hypocrite like Chris Carpenter.

• Clinton Manitoba - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I only know of Beetlejuice through him being somewhat part of an older pop culture, but it was other people I was with that recognized him. He is a recognizable character. I can honestly say I did/do not watch Howard Stern. His content never humored me. He is conceded and became a tired act very quickly.

While my response to you was very racist, it was to make a point and direct comparison to your story.

• 12strikes - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM

To coin a phrase “Offensive is in the eye of the offended”. If your friends are offend by “{insert your word here} Tossing” then so be it, but they do not set the standard for every one. I would suspect that this BettleJuice guy makes a nice living off of his relation to Stern and in turn the personal appearances he goes on. If I could get people to throw me in to a pile of padded mats for $10 a pop, plus the appearance fee, then sign me up.

2. shaggylocks - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I’m glad someone asked about this; I’ve been wondering about it ever since the news came out that Theo was heading to Chicago.

• kopy - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM

After reading the original story, I’d be a little convinced too if I was the one talking to him. First, Epstein says, “I get that a lot” when asked if he’s Theo Epstein, and then he says, “Who’s Theo Epstein?”

I don’t know about you guys, but when somebody tells me I look like somebody, I look that person up. And if it happens “a lot”, I”m more likely to do it.

• ThisIsBaseball - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Those were my thoughts exactly.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:15 PM

It’s more likely Theo blanked a bit in the moment, and had a funny-sounding response. He may not have expected to be spotted.

3. hansob - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:53 PM

The fact that the now confirmed but formerly alleged Starbucks Theo Epstein actually said he wasn’t Theo, gets that a lot, but DIDN’T KNOW who Theo Epstein was is hilarious to me. I’m pretty sure if I looked just like some celebrity that I didn’t know and was consistently mistaken for him, I’d take the 5 seconds out of my day to google him.

I’m not him, but feel free to tell me how great he is.

• kopy - Oct 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Great minds think alike.

4. acdc363 - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Biceps’ story was awesome. Its not like he walked up to a midget and offered him ten bucks to toss him. Plus he was at a new years celebration, give him a break even after 2 beers I’d love to see somebody toss a midget across a room

• vanmorrissey - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Not that I would ever do it, by any means, but if this person makes good money doing it, it’s no affront to him, he has a few drinks and it’s a good time for him to, who is anyone else to make a judgement on this? Please, let them enjoy it for what it is and move on in life.

5. aceshigh11 - Oct 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I saw Bob Backlund at a Mass Pike McDonald’s rest stop after seeing a Monday Night Raw about 11 years ago.

For what it’s worth…

• b7p19 - Oct 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM

While we’re at it, I once caddied for Irving Fryar.

6. tacklemeelmo - Oct 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I have Cliff Lee’s autograph on a Post-It note. A friend of mine was playing poker at a casino in Wisconsin earlier this year when Cliff Lee and a Phillie coach joined the game.

I also have Derek Holland’s phone number. He signed it onto a baseball and tossed it to the rather attractive young lady next to me during batting practice in Minnesota last year. Smooth… The lady did in fact call him, but that is as much as I know.

7. foreverchipper10 - Oct 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM

I just won a $5 Starbucks card by going paperless on my health insurance. That can get me like, half a beverage right?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3290)