Oct 25, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT
The Cardinals could still win this thing. Indeed, as Buster Olney pointed out today, Cardinals teams have faced a 3-2 deficit in World Series play five times before this one and on four of those occasions they came back to win games 6 and 7. So, sure, it could happen.
If they do, however, where will they rate all time? Yes, every World Series winner is the undisputed champion of the baseball world — just like the guy who graduates last in his medical school class is still called “doctor” — but the teams are obviously of varying quality. The short series trumps what the long season tests and all of that. Today at the Platoon Advantage, Bill looks at the worst World Series champions of all time. I’d have to say the 2011 Cards would crack that list.
And it’s a neat list. Lots of transitional teams such as the 1959 Dodgers who were just their lovable Brooklyn days but not quite fully into their sleek, professional Los Angeles Dodgers days. We consider all of the Derek Jeter Yankees teams to be part of the same general dynasty, but the 2000 Yankees were definitely at the end of one phase of that existence and the beginning of another. There’s a wartime team on the list. A couple of flukes. These sorts of champs just happen when you meet up with them at an unusual time in baseball’s life.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 6
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 24
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)