Oct 25, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT
The Cardinals could still win this thing. Indeed, as Buster Olney pointed out today, Cardinals teams have faced a 3-2 deficit in World Series play five times before this one and on four of those occasions they came back to win games 6 and 7. So, sure, it could happen.
If they do, however, where will they rate all time? Yes, every World Series winner is the undisputed champion of the baseball world — just like the guy who graduates last in his medical school class is still called “doctor” — but the teams are obviously of varying quality. The short series trumps what the long season tests and all of that. Today at the Platoon Advantage, Bill looks at the worst World Series champions of all time. I’d have to say the 2011 Cards would crack that list.
And it’s a neat list. Lots of transitional teams such as the 1959 Dodgers who were just their lovable Brooklyn days but not quite fully into their sleek, professional Los Angeles Dodgers days. We consider all of the Derek Jeter Yankees teams to be part of the same general dynasty, but the 2000 Yankees were definitely at the end of one phase of that existence and the beginning of another. There’s a wartime team on the list. A couple of flukes. These sorts of champs just happen when you meet up with them at an unusual time in baseball’s life.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)