Oct 26, 2011, 7:54 PM EDT
Word is already out that the Reds are planning to convert hard-throwing left-hander Aroldis Chapman from a setup man to a starter this winter. Just under four weeks from the conclusion of the 2011 regular season, that transition is already in full swing.
According to beat writer John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Chapman is scheduled to make his first start in the Arizona Fall League on Monday.
The Cuban defector has already made one scoreless relief appearance in the prospect-packed AFL, and will pitch out of the bullpen again on Thursday before gearing up for his first lengthier Monday outing.
Once the Arizona Fall League reaches its conclusion, Chapman will head to the Puerto Rican Winter League to continue building the endurance of his prized left arm. The Reds are hoping he’ll be able to throw five innings — without feeling any kind of abnormal pain or discomfort — by the start of spring training in February.
Chapman, who’s averaged 98.2 mph with his heater since arriving in the majors in 2010, is expected to open the 2012 season in the Reds’ starting rotation. If he can’t pull it off, the “bust” label will be coming.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)