Oct 26, 2011, 10:39 PM EDT
Impending free agent David Ortiz told ESPN’s Collen Dominguez earlier this month that he would be open to signing with the Yankees this offseason. While the Bombers aren’t likely to have interest, another American League East foe just might.
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, the Blue Jays “will not rule out” making a push for Ortiz on the open market because they feel he’d add some needed power to the middle of their lineup, and some needed protection for slugger Jose Bautista.
Ortiz boasts an impressive .954 career OPS at Toronto’s power-friendly Rogers Centre and has mashed 29 home runs at the park in only 91 total games. The Jays aren’t known for bidding on high-priced free agents, preferring to acquire talent in other ways, but Big Papi isn’t likely to command much more than $12 million per season on a two- or three-year deal. And he may even fall short of that.
The 35-year-old designated hitter batted .309/.398/.554 in 605 plate appearances this season for Boston, but he turns 36 in mid-November and his lack of defensive ability will limit his number of potential suitors.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)