Oct 26, 2011, 8:51 PM EDT
There’s been some speculation that the Rangers might take advantage of the extra day of rest provided by Wednesday night’s rainout and start young lefty Derek Holland in a potential Game 7 Friday night at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.
But those rumors can now be put to rest.
Via beat writer Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Rangers manager Ron Washington told the media this afternoon that Holland will be available out of the bullpen for Thursday’s Game 6 and that fellow southpaw Matt Harrison will remain in line to start a potential winner-take-all matchup on Friday night.
Holland dominated the Cardinals for 8 1/3 innings in Sunday’s Game 4 win, but he and Harrison posted similar numbers during the regular season and Washington knows better than to overreact about one great start.
The Rangers hold a 3-2 lead in the seven-game Fall Classic. They’ll be looking to end things Thursday night.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (80)