Oct 26, 2011, 8:51 PM EDT
There’s been some speculation that the Rangers might take advantage of the extra day of rest provided by Wednesday night’s rainout and start young lefty Derek Holland in a potential Game 7 Friday night at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.
But those rumors can now be put to rest.
Via beat writer Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Rangers manager Ron Washington told the media this afternoon that Holland will be available out of the bullpen for Thursday’s Game 6 and that fellow southpaw Matt Harrison will remain in line to start a potential winner-take-all matchup on Friday night.
Holland dominated the Cardinals for 8 1/3 innings in Sunday’s Game 4 win, but he and Harrison posted similar numbers during the regular season and Washington knows better than to overreact about one great start.
The Rangers hold a 3-2 lead in the seven-game Fall Classic. They’ll be looking to end things Thursday night.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 26
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)