Marcel Lachemann resigns from Rockies after 12 seasons

Oct 26, 2011, 12:32 PM EDT

Marcel Lachemann

Marcel Lachemann has resigned as specialist assistant to Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd, stepping down after spending 12 seasons in the organization because of “different ideas on the development of pitchers.”

Based on what Lachemann told Jack Etkin of Inside the Rockies, he appears to have a pretty strong disagreement with the team’s approach:

Not that I’m right. There’s all different ways to do it. I just don’t feel comfortable being there and working with some kid and saying, “This is the way the Rockies do it” if I don’t believe in it. By the same point, I don’t want to be the guy standing in the background saying, “I don’t know why they do it that way.” When that becomes the case, it’s just time to move on.

Etkin notes that multiple pitchers drafted by the Rockies in the first round have struggled in recent years and the 70-year-old Lachemann plans to keep working in another organization because “I don’t think my wife could put up with me day in and day out.”

1. Kyle - Oct 26, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Can’t help but think of Tyler Matzek when reading this news. I’m reminded of this Keith Law chat Q and A:

Q: Have the Rockies completely ruined Tyler Matzek by trying to fix his delivery Keith? What can be done to turn him around?

Law: Yes. I don’t really know what they can do.

• mmuzia - Oct 26, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Keith Law unnecessarily rode the “Rockies Ruined Matzek” bandwagon for quite some time, and then was noticeably silent after his promising return from working with his HS coach.

I would suggest this difference in opinion relates more to the upper levels/MLB pitchers in the system like Friedrich.

• phillyphreak - Oct 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM

So I’m confused here. Is this a dig at Law? Because if the Rockies staff did mess with the delivery and he left the organization to try to fix it then it doesn’t invalidate Law’s point does it?

• Alex K - Oct 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I agree, phreak. Since he had to go work with his HS coach it means the Rockies did mess him up and he had to leave them to fix it. What more was there to say? Should Law have praised the Rockies after he came back even though they didn’t have a whole lot to do with changing his delivery back after they “fixed” it in the first place?

• mmuzia - Oct 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM

@Alex K

Kevin Goldstein praised the Rockies for thinking outside the box, along with many other scouts.

Law even invented the verb “Matzek’d”. I’m not digging at Law, because I think he’s a very bright mind. But he certainly doesn’t admit when he jumps to premature conclusions. In the case of Matzek, the silence is deafening.

For what it’s worth, Matzek is a Marshall-style disciple with some very strange training regimens. He would have likely been “broken” under any organization.

• phillyphreak - Oct 26, 2011 at 1:38 PM

To be fair, I guess, it seems that the question to Law was aksed in June and then in July Matzek left the organization. The way you wrote it was kind of a dig. And really, we don’t know if his assertion was premature or not. It’s not like Matzek came back and lit A ball on fire.

No scout/player evaluator is going to be 100% right all of the time (and I know you know this). It just doesn’t seem like Law needed to address it again.

• mmuzia - Oct 26, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Right there with you, philly.

I was just responding to the Matzek comment up above. I genuinely like and read Law regularly, but he’s certainly not as infallible as he claims to be.

If you just read Law for your scouting opinions, there’s a whole other side to the Matzek story that you would never hear. Scouts, coaches, even Dr. Marshall himself have suggested the Rockies didn’t break Matzek. Yet somehow Law’s word on the matter has become gospel.

• Alex K - Oct 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I was under the impression that the Rockies totally changed Matzek’s delivery. So going off of that it seemed that they “broke” him, and they sent him away to be “fixed” by his HS coach. I could be (and probably am) toally wrong, but that was the impression I got.

And, no, Keith Law is no where near infallible. I don’t think he would tell you that. I just don’t know what he was supposed to say. If he thinks that the Rockies were the main reason for Matzek’s struggles then he is certainly entitled to that opinion. It’s way to early to know what is going to happen with Matzek for anyone to say who is right and who is wrong yet.

2. mjay424 - Oct 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM

This story is just beginning. When the details are revealed about what those philosophical differences are, this will become a very interesting development.

The Rockies have had both successes with drafting and developing strong pitching and some terrible failures and sadly, more of the latter than the former.

I’m sure much more will come out soon.

Rockies’ Analyst (google)