Oct 26, 2011, 4:23 PM EDT
General manager Dayton Moore told Dick Kaegel of MLB.com that the Royals are unlikely to sign Melky Cabrera to a long-term contract extension because the 27-year-old outfielder wants to test free agency following next season:
We’ll probably go a year at a time at this point, but he was a terrific player for us and we’re very proud of what he accomplished and we’d be very open to Melky being here long term. But I don’t see anything right now. I think he’s at a point in his career where he wants to look at things. He’s just a year away from free agency.
Cabrera had a very strong season, setting career-highs in batting average (.305), homers (18), doubles (44), RBIs (82), runs (109), steals (20), and OPS (.809). However, he’s just one year removed from a miserable season with the Braves and came into 2011 as a career .267 hitter with a .707 OPS. In other words, Cabrera might be doing the Royals a favor by not wanting to sign an extension coming off his best year.
He’ll get a big raise on this year’s $1.25 million salary via arbitration, but if the Royals still want to keep Cabrera long term he’ll likely be cheaper to sign after next season even if they have to out-bid other teams for him on the open market.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)