Oct 26, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT
UPDATE II: It’s postponed. Here’s our updated post.
UPDATE: Well, we’re an hour past the time the Cardinals and Major League Baseball were supposed to meet to determine if tonight’s game will be postponed and there’s still no word. Some people looking at the radar — amateurs, natch — think the rain will swing south of the ballpark and that the game may be saved, but there’s no sense of how much caution the league will exercise in the scheduling of its possible last game of the year.
Further updates as soon as we hear.
10:05 AM: As Aaron noted yesterday, the forecast for Game 6 is atrocious. There’s a great chance of sustained rain and all of that. At the same time, Thursday and Friday look pretty good. Seems like a perfect recipe for banging tonight’s game and doing Game 6 tomorrow.
That decision will be made at 1PM today, tweets Tim McKernan of the morning show at KFNS in St. Louis. It comes straight from the mouth of Cards’ GM John Mozeliak, who has a meeting with MLB officials at that time (presumably 1PM Central).
Having such a great series decided by long rain delays and weather-inspired pitching changes and weirdness like that would be a shame. Given the good forecast for the next two days, it makes total sense to kick things a day. I hope that’s what they do.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (114)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)