Oct 26, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT
MLB announced that tonight’s scheduled Game 6 of the World Series has been postponed because of expected rain in St. Louis.
Cardinals and Rangers officials learned of the early postponement during an afternoon conference call with MLB. Light rain has been falling throughout the day in St. Louis and various weather reports peg the chances of rain tonight at 75-90 percent. Rather than attempt to play through the bad weather and perhaps get stuck having to delay the game after several innings they’ll push Game 6 to Thursday night and schedule a potential Game 7 for Friday night. Both games are scheduled to start at 8:05 p.m. ET.
That gives both managers an opportunity to adjust their rotations, but Ron Washington has said repeatedly that he’ll stick with Colby Lewis in Game 6 and Matt Harrison in Game 7. Derek Holland, who shut out the Cardinals for 8.1 innings in Game 4, could be available in relief of Harrison.
Tony La Russa hasn’t said for certain what he’ll do following the postponement, but there’s been speculation that he could bump scheduled Game 7 starter Kyle Lohse from the rotation and use Chris Carpenter on three days’ rest. Jaime Garcia will start Game 6 for the Cardinals.
And according to the National Weather Service no rain is expected Thursday or Friday.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)