Oct 26, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT
MLB announced that tonight’s scheduled Game 6 of the World Series has been postponed because of expected rain in St. Louis.
Cardinals and Rangers officials learned of the early postponement during an afternoon conference call with MLB. Light rain has been falling throughout the day in St. Louis and various weather reports peg the chances of rain tonight at 75-90 percent. Rather than attempt to play through the bad weather and perhaps get stuck having to delay the game after several innings they’ll push Game 6 to Thursday night and schedule a potential Game 7 for Friday night. Both games are scheduled to start at 8:05 p.m. ET.
That gives both managers an opportunity to adjust their rotations, but Ron Washington has said repeatedly that he’ll stick with Colby Lewis in Game 6 and Matt Harrison in Game 7. Derek Holland, who shut out the Cardinals for 8.1 innings in Game 4, could be available in relief of Harrison.
Tony La Russa hasn’t said for certain what he’ll do following the postponement, but there’s been speculation that he could bump scheduled Game 7 starter Kyle Lohse from the rotation and use Chris Carpenter on three days’ rest. Jaime Garcia will start Game 6 for the Cardinals.
And according to the National Weather Service no rain is expected Thursday or Friday.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 47
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)