Oct 26, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT
MLB announced that tonight’s scheduled Game 6 of the World Series has been postponed because of expected rain in St. Louis.
Cardinals and Rangers officials learned of the early postponement during an afternoon conference call with MLB. Light rain has been falling throughout the day in St. Louis and various weather reports peg the chances of rain tonight at 75-90 percent. Rather than attempt to play through the bad weather and perhaps get stuck having to delay the game after several innings they’ll push Game 6 to Thursday night and schedule a potential Game 7 for Friday night. Both games are scheduled to start at 8:05 p.m. ET.
That gives both managers an opportunity to adjust their rotations, but Ron Washington has said repeatedly that he’ll stick with Colby Lewis in Game 6 and Matt Harrison in Game 7. Derek Holland, who shut out the Cardinals for 8.1 innings in Game 4, could be available in relief of Harrison.
Tony La Russa hasn’t said for certain what he’ll do following the postponement, but there’s been speculation that he could bump scheduled Game 7 starter Kyle Lohse from the rotation and use Chris Carpenter on three days’ rest. Jaime Garcia will start Game 6 for the Cardinals.
And according to the National Weather Service no rain is expected Thursday or Friday.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)