Oct 26, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT
MLB announced that tonight’s scheduled Game 6 of the World Series has been postponed because of expected rain in St. Louis.
Cardinals and Rangers officials learned of the early postponement during an afternoon conference call with MLB. Light rain has been falling throughout the day in St. Louis and various weather reports peg the chances of rain tonight at 75-90 percent. Rather than attempt to play through the bad weather and perhaps get stuck having to delay the game after several innings they’ll push Game 6 to Thursday night and schedule a potential Game 7 for Friday night. Both games are scheduled to start at 8:05 p.m. ET.
That gives both managers an opportunity to adjust their rotations, but Ron Washington has said repeatedly that he’ll stick with Colby Lewis in Game 6 and Matt Harrison in Game 7. Derek Holland, who shut out the Cardinals for 8.1 innings in Game 4, could be available in relief of Harrison.
Tony La Russa hasn’t said for certain what he’ll do following the postponement, but there’s been speculation that he could bump scheduled Game 7 starter Kyle Lohse from the rotation and use Chris Carpenter on three days’ rest. Jaime Garcia will start Game 6 for the Cardinals.
And according to the National Weather Service no rain is expected Thursday or Friday.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)