MLB postpones Game 6 until Thursday due to expected rain

Oct 26, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT

charlie brown rain

MLB announced that tonight’s scheduled Game 6 of the World Series has been postponed because of expected rain in St. Louis.

Cardinals and Rangers officials learned of the early postponement during an afternoon conference call with MLB. Light rain has been falling throughout the day in St. Louis and various weather reports peg the chances of rain tonight at 75-90 percent. Rather than attempt to play through the bad weather and perhaps get stuck having to delay the game after several innings they’ll push Game 6 to Thursday night and schedule a potential Game 7 for Friday night. Both games are scheduled to start at 8:05 p.m. ET.

That gives both managers an opportunity to adjust their rotations, but Ron Washington has said repeatedly that he’ll stick with Colby Lewis in Game 6 and Matt Harrison in Game 7. Derek Holland, who shut out the Cardinals for 8.1 innings in Game 4, could be available in relief of Harrison.

Tony La Russa hasn’t said for certain what he’ll do following the postponement, but there’s been speculation that he could bump scheduled Game 7 starter Kyle Lohse from the rotation and use Chris Carpenter on three days’ rest. Jaime Garcia will start Game 6 for the Cardinals.

And according to the National Weather Service no rain is expected Thursday or Friday.

1. yankeesfanlen - Oct 26, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Now cur can safely go to his beer-and-wings night. Hockey question- What size skates do the moose wear?

• cur68 - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Yes, Len, my evening is set and now nothing will interfere with my baseball on Thursday.

As to the skate question; well we just sharpen their hooves and turn them loose. The real trick is getting them to use the stick.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Moose are naturals on ice. The stick handling part is problematical as cur68 indicated

2. Jonny 5 - Oct 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

TLR is a frigging genius, I swear it. He has utilized squirrels, frigid temperatures, shadows, scalding home plate Umps to change the strike zone, and now he has summoned rain to keep him from starting Lohse if a game 7 has to happen…… Genius!

• paperlions - Oct 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Wouldn’t it be easier to just not play silly defensive alignments, use your best relievers in the highest leverage situations, not sac bunt 3 times game, and not call/justify the worst hit and run and stolen base attempts since Ruth was thrown out to end a WS? I mean…it really would be simpler to make sound, information-based baseball decisions to increase your chances of winning than…well…all of that….

• Old Gator - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM

“I can get you a rainout.”
        -Crash Davis

• Jonny 5 - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Well that’s just not playing the game “the right way” now is it PL?

• okwhitefalcon - Oct 26, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Or maybe just get a timely knock or 2, that tends to increase your chances of winning less all the rhetoric…

3. fanoredsox - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Really? Really? Texas, a state that was considering recycling urine for water and couldn’t get a drop of rain for like a year has now postponed two games due to rain! I believe that Bud Selig has engineered a conspiracy! LOL

• Old Gator - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Well, why not? They’ve been eminently successful in recycling dung for executive leadership.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Evangelical dumb, I mean dung, nonetheless!

• cur68 - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM

psssst! Dude unless I am truly misinformed (not unlikely given my stance on following the news) but I think the next 2 games are in St. Louis.

• oz10tx - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

you do realize that this game is in St. Louis and that St. Louis is not in Texas…………..

• fanoredsox - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Yes I do now that you have brought it to my attention, but being at all of the Protest Wallstreet events and trying to help my man Barack find Change, I am embarrassed and had lost track! Truthfully I’ve just been drinking a lot of beer and eating chicken. You know the Red Sox life.

4. natstowngreg - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Carpenter threw 101 pitches (67 strikes) Monday. He’s durable enough to pitch on three days’ rest with the championship on the line. Every Cards pitcher would be available for Game 7 except Game 6 starter Jaime Garcia.

CJ Wilson threw 108 pitches (57 strikes) Monday. Even if Washington changed his mind, Wilson doesn’t get the same benefit of the doubt as Carpenter, but would be available for relief, along with every Rangers pitcher except Game 6 starter Colby Lewis.

If, of course, there is a Game 7 Friday. While not really caring who wins the Series, I sorta hope the Cards win tomorrow night, just so we can have a Game 7. And maybe see TLR and Washington break the record for pitching changes in one World Series game (no matter what the current record is).

5. boswivel - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

A light rain? Oh dear.

6. florida727 - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM

And according to the National Weather Service no one cares what happens on Thursday or Friday.
    ———————————————————————————
    Seriously, this has been a great series, back-and-forth, and yet the TV ratings are awful. I don’t get it. How can you NOT like this series? I don’t care who wins, but I’m enjoying the heck out of watching it.

• materialman80 - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

It has been a good series. I have enjoyed every game.

7. jhastrello - Oct 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM

You St. Louis fans seem to be convinced about all the back and forth for Game 7. You had better be concentrating on Game 6 and facing Colby Lewis or the only Game 7 you will be watching is the Rams!

I think that it is going to be:

Won and Done for the Rangers!

8. phukyouk - Oct 26, 2011 at 5:52 PM

can you please stop with all the WS bulls**t and get back to the yanks and sox

• jimeejohnson - Oct 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM

There are 8 very naive folks out there, maybe more!

9. xevofb3k - Oct 26, 2011 at 11:07 PM

The LaRussa gets his wish granted by Torre. His bullpen gets an extra day’s rest.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3359)