Oct 26, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
In Game 6, it will happen again.
According to B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa informed the media Wednesday afternoon at Busch Stadium that Schumaker will start in center field Thursday night against Rangers right-hander Colby Lewis.
Schumaker isn’t as talented defensively as Jay, nor does he have much experience playing center field, but he’s 7-for-14 this postseason with two doubles and four RBI. And he boasts a productive .301/.358/.393 career batting line against right-handed hitters. Beyond Allen Craig, who isn’t quite athletic enough to handle center, Schumaker represents St. Louis’ best option for offensive success at the position.
Jay will be available off the bench as a pinch-runner or defensive replacement. He was a late sub in Game 5.
La Russa also announced Wednesday that Nick Punto will start at second base in Thursday’s Game 6.
- Watch live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas