Oct 26, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
In Game 6, it will happen again.
According to B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa informed the media Wednesday afternoon at Busch Stadium that Schumaker will start in center field Thursday night against Rangers right-hander Colby Lewis.
Schumaker isn’t as talented defensively as Jay, nor does he have much experience playing center field, but he’s 7-for-14 this postseason with two doubles and four RBI. And he boasts a productive .301/.358/.393 career batting line against right-handed hitters. Beyond Allen Craig, who isn’t quite athletic enough to handle center, Schumaker represents St. Louis’ best option for offensive success at the position.
Jay will be available off the bench as a pinch-runner or defensive replacement. He was a late sub in Game 5.
La Russa also announced Wednesday that Nick Punto will start at second base in Thursday’s Game 6.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (84)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (78)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (74)