After the rain: Lewis and Garcia set for Game 6 pitchers’ duel

Oct 27, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT

Tarp covers the infield at Bush Stadium after Major League Baseball cancelled Game 6 in St. Louis Reuters

Last night’s rainout in St. Louis could dramatically change the pitching plans for Game 7, but the Cardinals will have to get there first by winning tonight’s Colby Lewis-Jaime Garcia matchup.

They faced off in Game 2, combining for 13.2 innings of one-run ball. Garcia exited after seven shutout innings with a 1-0 lead, but the Rangers scored two runs in the ninth inning off Jason Motte to grab the victory.

Lewis has been excellent for the Rangers nearly every time out in the playoffs, both this season and last season, combining to make seven postseason starts with a 2.22 ERA and 40 strikeouts in 45 innings. Texas is 5-2 in those seven games and Lewis allowed more than two runs just once, coughing up four runs to the Tigers in Game 3 of the ALCS.

Garcia’s postseason track record is limited to four starts this year and his performance has been a mixed bag. He turned in a stinker against the Brewers in Game 1 of the NLCS and was yanked early in Game 5 of that series, but also tossed a Quality Start versus the Phillies in Game 3 of the NLDS and shut out the Rangers for seven frames in his last appearance.

On paper at least it looks like a pitchers’ duel and a very close matchup, with the gamblings odds pegging the Cardinals as slight favorites at home. Clear skies are expected for tonight (and tomorrow night) and like four of the first five games in the series Lewis vs. Garcia looks likely to be another tight, low-scoring game that may come down to the fully rested relievers. Hopefully the Cardinals’ bullpen phone is working.

1. Old Gator - Oct 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM

It has been my experience that nothing predicates a blowout like predicting a pitcher’s duel.

• Kyle - Oct 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Word. We’re not talking about two elite pitchers here. We’re talking about two good starters, both with issues that can show up anytime (Garcia, control. Lewis, the long ball). Of course, don’t take that as any sort of prediction…

2. rollinghighwayblues - Oct 27, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I have no dog in the fight (actually, I despide the Rangers) but why do I keep getting this feeling that Garcia is going to get lit up for a 6 spot? I really hope I’m wrong.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I hope you’re right.

• beekmansworld - Oct 27, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Now Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong here..

BUT In game 2, I seem to remember hearing that the entire Ranger lineup had no record of facing Garcia. One could guess that not facing Garcia before would give him a big advantage, hince the big game on his part.

Lewis has been a rock in the playoffs, and I expect him to keep it going. He is a fly ball pitcher, and the reason he has thrown in St Louis both games.

IDK I do not see it being a repeat of game two as a pitchers duel.

3. cur68 - Oct 27, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Cards gotta win. Just gotta. I need one more game after today before the long winter. Besides, its all I have to look forward to this Friday, (since my chances of meeting Bibi Jones are slim). Go Cards.

• wlschneider09 - Oct 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM

You need a new agent Cur

• mel13anie - Oct 27, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Its over Cur……Rangers finish this tonight with Naps big bat and Lewis on the mound!

4. clydeserra - Oct 27, 2011 at 3:42 PM

They should play a double header

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3598)