Fifteen potential Red Sox managers

Oct 27, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT

Jerry Manuel

I know this much: we won’t know who the next manager of the Red Sox is until the Red Sox hire someone. I know that probably blew your mind a little bit when I told you that, but it’s true.

Still, it’s fun to speculate and handicap the candidates, and today Gordon Edes does that, naming and assessing 15 potential candidates.

Many of the names are ones we’ve heard so far: DeMarlo Hale, Pete Mackanin, Trey Hillman. A couple of wild cards are Ryne Sandberg and Bud Black. Black is pretty insane, actually. His team’s owner basically said Black has a job for life if he wants it, and Black is a close friend of Terry Francona’s, so why on Earth he’d wade into the muck in Boston is beyond me.

And then there’s comedy: Jerry Manuel. Which I have to think would be vetoed by Fox and ESPN if the Red Sox seriously considered him.  I mean, the Yankees-Red Sox will probably always draw big numbers, but there’s no sense in tempting fate.

Final name of note: Joe McEwing. Who, while I guess he’s been a White Sox coach for a couple of years, is still an active player in my subjective little mind. Sure, it’s been four years, but he still isn’t over that “wait, he’s not playing any more?” hump.

Oh well. Have fun with the list.

1. Tyree Studio - Oct 27, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Please let it be Trey…

• The Baseball Idiot - Oct 27, 2011 at 11:13 AM

It only lets me like that statement 1 time, but please consider a google of zero’s behind it.

2. uyf1950 - Oct 27, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I cast my vote for none of the above. Go with Bobby V. instead.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 27, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Fans of other AL East teams will be pulling for Bobby V.

3. massivedick - Oct 27, 2011 at 10:26 AM

put a brutha in boston …. see the boston white trash squirm

• bozosforall - Oct 27, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Post of the Day! LMAO

• paperlions - Oct 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM

That might get some of the radio guys on WEEI fired. Some are already racist enough in their comments (one of the morning guys said that watching Washington makes him think he still does coke), having a any minority as the manager may push them far enough that they finally get fired.

4. frankvzappa - Oct 27, 2011 at 10:31 AM

They should make Kirk Gibson an offer he can’t refuse.

5. Old Gator - Oct 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Slob…heh, I mean, Classy Ozzie. He and Boston would fit together like a protein receptor and a fat blocker.

6. aceshigh11 - Oct 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Jerry Manuel…are you KIDDING?

• mikedi33 - Oct 27, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I agree with you but Edes is pinning the blame on Manuel for the Mutts 2007 choke when that was still Randolph.

7. bozosforall - Oct 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM

They let go the ONLY manager that won their ballclub a WS title in nearly 100 years. They already screwed the pooch, now we get to see another 86 years of futility. Happy days are here again!

• Ari Collins - Oct 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Yes, Terry Francona won two World Serieses for them, and those 2004 and 2007 teams could not possibly have won with a different guy filling out the lineup card.

8. phukyouk - Oct 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Joe Girardi? we will even throw in AJ

9. humanexcrement - Oct 27, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Trey Hillman will make a good manager someday–it’s not his fault the Royals suck. But his down-to-earth, fundamentals style is better applied to a team full of young prospects with good attitudes, not a roster stacked with big-named superstars with a reputation for unprofessional behavior and poor clubhouse chemistry.

• Tyree Studio - Oct 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM

or a vet like Grudzielanek how he feels about team-meetings on the field, in front of the opposing team and fans, at home plate, after a spring training loss.

Trey in Boston would be must-see tv.

10. sdelmonte - Oct 27, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I like Jerry Manuel. He’s smart and funny and I liked how he handled himself with the press. He’s possibly the ex-manager I would most to have a conversation with. There should be a place in baseball for him.

Just not as a manager. Bench coach, maybe.

11. skeleteeth - Oct 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Sandy Alomar, Jr. or Tony Pena plz thx

12. philliesblow - Oct 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM

For sheer entertainment value, Manny Ramirez.

13. damnyankee13 - Oct 27, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I dont know what the hangup is with Boston hiring a new manager, any bartender will do

14. smackingfools - Oct 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM

My cousin Vinnie.

15. gregbeau - Oct 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM

What is the contract status of Joe Maddon?

16. bobwsc - Oct 27, 2011 at 9:14 PM

gabe kapler

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2967)