Oct 27, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT
I know this much: we won’t know who the next manager of the Red Sox is until the Red Sox hire someone. I know that probably blew your mind a little bit when I told you that, but it’s true.
Still, it’s fun to speculate and handicap the candidates, and today Gordon Edes does that, naming and assessing 15 potential candidates.
Many of the names are ones we’ve heard so far: DeMarlo Hale, Pete Mackanin, Trey Hillman. A couple of wild cards are Ryne Sandberg and Bud Black. Black is pretty insane, actually. His team’s owner basically said Black has a job for life if he wants it, and Black is a close friend of Terry Francona’s, so why on Earth he’d wade into the muck in Boston is beyond me.
And then there’s comedy: Jerry Manuel. Which I have to think would be vetoed by Fox and ESPN if the Red Sox seriously considered him. I mean, the Yankees-Red Sox will probably always draw big numbers, but there’s no sense in tempting fate.
Final name of note: Joe McEwing. Who, while I guess he’s been a White Sox coach for a couple of years, is still an active player in my subjective little mind. Sure, it’s been four years, but he still isn’t over that “wait, he’s not playing any more?” hump.
Oh well. Have fun with the list.
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 0
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 3
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 3
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 1
- Andrew McCutchen scratched from Pirates’ starting lineup 5