Oct 27, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT
I know this much: we won’t know who the next manager of the Red Sox is until the Red Sox hire someone. I know that probably blew your mind a little bit when I told you that, but it’s true.
Still, it’s fun to speculate and handicap the candidates, and today Gordon Edes does that, naming and assessing 15 potential candidates.
Many of the names are ones we’ve heard so far: DeMarlo Hale, Pete Mackanin, Trey Hillman. A couple of wild cards are Ryne Sandberg and Bud Black. Black is pretty insane, actually. His team’s owner basically said Black has a job for life if he wants it, and Black is a close friend of Terry Francona’s, so why on Earth he’d wade into the muck in Boston is beyond me.
And then there’s comedy: Jerry Manuel. Which I have to think would be vetoed by Fox and ESPN if the Red Sox seriously considered him. I mean, the Yankees-Red Sox will probably always draw big numbers, but there’s no sense in tempting fate.
Final name of note: Joe McEwing. Who, while I guess he’s been a White Sox coach for a couple of years, is still an active player in my subjective little mind. Sure, it’s been four years, but he still isn’t over that “wait, he’s not playing any more?” hump.
Oh well. Have fun with the list.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)