Oct 27, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT
I know this much: we won’t know who the next manager of the Red Sox is until the Red Sox hire someone. I know that probably blew your mind a little bit when I told you that, but it’s true.
Still, it’s fun to speculate and handicap the candidates, and today Gordon Edes does that, naming and assessing 15 potential candidates.
Many of the names are ones we’ve heard so far: DeMarlo Hale, Pete Mackanin, Trey Hillman. A couple of wild cards are Ryne Sandberg and Bud Black. Black is pretty insane, actually. His team’s owner basically said Black has a job for life if he wants it, and Black is a close friend of Terry Francona’s, so why on Earth he’d wade into the muck in Boston is beyond me.
And then there’s comedy: Jerry Manuel. Which I have to think would be vetoed by Fox and ESPN if the Red Sox seriously considered him. I mean, the Yankees-Red Sox will probably always draw big numbers, but there’s no sense in tempting fate.
Final name of note: Joe McEwing. Who, while I guess he’s been a White Sox coach for a couple of years, is still an active player in my subjective little mind. Sure, it’s been four years, but he still isn’t over that “wait, he’s not playing any more?” hump.
Oh well. Have fun with the list.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 63
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)