Oct 27, 2011, 8:15 AM EST
This story from Bob Elliott is fun. Game cancelled because of rain, so old guys tell stories about stuff in the press box and around the ballpark. The topic: other bullpen phone failures in baseball history. Some technical, some just miscommunications and weirdness.
My favorite: the time in 1983 when Braves manager Joe Torre called down for a lefty … and there were no lefties. Hall of Fame manager Joe Torre managing the defending NL West champs, and he doesn’t know that he doesn’t have any lefties.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 39
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 89
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)