Oct 27, 2011, 8:15 AM EDT
This story from Bob Elliott is fun. Game cancelled because of rain, so old guys tell stories about stuff in the press box and around the ballpark. The topic: other bullpen phone failures in baseball history. Some technical, some just miscommunications and weirdness.
My favorite: the time in 1983 when Braves manager Joe Torre called down for a lefty … and there were no lefties. Hall of Fame manager Joe Torre managing the defending NL West champs, and he doesn’t know that he doesn’t have any lefties.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)