Oct 27, 2011, 8:15 AM EDT
This story from Bob Elliott is fun. Game cancelled because of rain, so old guys tell stories about stuff in the press box and around the ballpark. The topic: other bullpen phone failures in baseball history. Some technical, some just miscommunications and weirdness.
My favorite: the time in 1983 when Braves manager Joe Torre called down for a lefty … and there were no lefties. Hall of Fame manager Joe Torre managing the defending NL West champs, and he doesn’t know that he doesn’t have any lefties.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)