Oct 27, 2011, 8:15 AM EST
This story from Bob Elliott is fun. Game cancelled because of rain, so old guys tell stories about stuff in the press box and around the ballpark. The topic: other bullpen phone failures in baseball history. Some technical, some just miscommunications and weirdness.
My favorite: the time in 1983 when Braves manager Joe Torre called down for a lefty … and there were no lefties. Hall of Fame manager Joe Torre managing the defending NL West champs, and he doesn’t know that he doesn’t have any lefties.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)