Oct 27, 2011, 8:15 AM EDT
This story from Bob Elliott is fun. Game cancelled because of rain, so old guys tell stories about stuff in the press box and around the ballpark. The topic: other bullpen phone failures in baseball history. Some technical, some just miscommunications and weirdness.
My favorite: the time in 1983 when Braves manager Joe Torre called down for a lefty … and there were no lefties. Hall of Fame manager Joe Torre managing the defending NL West champs, and he doesn’t know that he doesn’t have any lefties.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)