Oct 27, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
Matt Holliday left Thursday’s Game 6 against the Rangers with a finger injury sustained diving back into third base on a pickoff in the sixth.
Holliday jammed his right hand into Adrian Beltre‘s foot on the play and was called out. X-rays were negative on his pinkie finger, with the Cardinals calling the injury a severe bruise.
Allen Craig replaced him in left field.
Thanks to a Michael Young error, Holliday had reached base for the third time in three plate appearances in the contest. He walked his first two times up. Still, the pickoff was a huge play with the bases loaded and one out in a tie game. Holliday, who is hitting .158 in the series, also committed an ugly error in the fourth that led to a run for the Rangers.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)