Oct 27, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
Matt Holliday left Thursday’s Game 6 against the Rangers with a finger injury sustained diving back into third base on a pickoff in the sixth.
Holliday jammed his right hand into Adrian Beltre‘s foot on the play and was called out. X-rays were negative on his pinkie finger, with the Cardinals calling the injury a severe bruise.
Allen Craig replaced him in left field.
Thanks to a Michael Young error, Holliday had reached base for the third time in three plate appearances in the contest. He walked his first two times up. Still, the pickoff was a huge play with the bases loaded and one out in a tie game. Holliday, who is hitting .158 in the series, also committed an ugly error in the fourth that led to a run for the Rangers.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (92)