Oct 27, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
Matt Holliday left Thursday’s Game 6 against the Rangers with a finger injury sustained diving back into third base on a pickoff in the sixth.
Holliday jammed his right hand into Adrian Beltre‘s foot on the play and was called out. X-rays were negative on his pinkie finger, with the Cardinals calling the injury a severe bruise.
Allen Craig replaced him in left field.
Thanks to a Michael Young error, Holliday had reached base for the third time in three plate appearances in the contest. He walked his first two times up. Still, the pickoff was a huge play with the bases loaded and one out in a tie game. Holliday, who is hitting .158 in the series, also committed an ugly error in the fourth that led to a run for the Rangers.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 0
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 31
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)