Oct 27, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
Yesterday we learned that the Dodgers trial set for Monday has been postponed for a month. Today Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times reports why that is:
The Dodgers’ bankruptcy trial has been postponed for one month so Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and Major League Baseball can explore a possible settlement under which McCourt would agree to sell the team, multiple people familiar with the matter said Wednesday.
This would be pretty huge. But as Shaikin notes, it may not go anywhere. The problem is that McCourt is so deeply in debt that he may not break even unless the team sells for $1 billion. And Major League Baseball is not at all interested in subsidizing McCourt and/or guaranteeing some minimum price for the team. If McCourt thinks he can’t get that kind of return — and it seems pretty high in this environment — he may think it better to just hunker down, fight and try to keep the team until it can appreciate more.
But talks, even troubled ones, are better than nothing. And for the first time we have a suggestion that, yes, Frank McCourt would be willing to walk away if it made sense to do so. And that’s the most hope we’ve had about anything in this sordid affair for a long time.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 51
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (190)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (112)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)