Oct 27, 2011, 6:13 PM EST
The Giants have already made it known that they want to bring outfielder Carlos Beltran back for the 2012 season. But they’re going to have some stiff competition for the 34-year-old impending free agent.
Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York heard from sources on Thursday morning that the Yankees are planning to pursue Beltran this winter, and now Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated is reporting that the Red Sox might also have serious interest.
Beltran posted an impressive .300/.385/.525 batting line with 22 home runs, 39 doubles and 84 RBI in 142 games this season between the Mets and Giants, all the while managing to stay mostly healthy.
Beltran is coming off a contract that paid him $18.5 million annually from 2008-2011. He’ll see a sharp dip in salary in his next deal, but having the Yanks and Sawx involved in talks can only help his bottom line.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)