Oct 27, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
George A. King III of the New York Post reports that Scott Boras attempted to contact Yankees general manager Brian Cashman about redoing Robinson Cano‘s contract. A contract that currently calls for $14 million in 2012 and $15 million in 2013, both club options. Boras told the Post that Cashman hasn’t returned his call.
And why would they? $29 million for Cano for the next two years is a good deal. Which, you know, is why they signed the contract in the first place. Cano signed it because he wanted to hedge against risk before he was a full-blown free agent, and he has done that too. That’s how deals work, see?
Of course you never get anything in this world without asking, so it’s not like Boras’ gambit does any harm. Sure, there’s some chutzpah there, but Boras is the Mayor of Chutzpahopolis, so it’s no biggie for him. If Cano is still worth mega bucks when his deal is up after 2013, the Yankees will still pony up for him. They’re not gonna say “No! Boras is a meany!” At the same time, if this move makes it even .001% more likely that the Yankees begin talks about some sort of longer term extension, it will have been more than worth it.
Boras is no idiot. And, despite what I feel will be some rumbling and grumbling at perceived greed and all of that, it’s really of no consequence. Standard Boras Operating Procedure. Nothing the Yankees aren’t able to laugh off. Nothing that affects Cano’s relationship with the team at all.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)