Oct 27, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
George A. King III of the New York Post reports that Scott Boras attempted to contact Yankees general manager Brian Cashman about redoing Robinson Cano‘s contract. A contract that currently calls for $14 million in 2012 and $15 million in 2013, both club options. Boras told the Post that Cashman hasn’t returned his call.
And why would they? $29 million for Cano for the next two years is a good deal. Which, you know, is why they signed the contract in the first place. Cano signed it because he wanted to hedge against risk before he was a full-blown free agent, and he has done that too. That’s how deals work, see?
Of course you never get anything in this world without asking, so it’s not like Boras’ gambit does any harm. Sure, there’s some chutzpah there, but Boras is the Mayor of Chutzpahopolis, so it’s no biggie for him. If Cano is still worth mega bucks when his deal is up after 2013, the Yankees will still pony up for him. They’re not gonna say “No! Boras is a meany!” At the same time, if this move makes it even .001% more likely that the Yankees begin talks about some sort of longer term extension, it will have been more than worth it.
Boras is no idiot. And, despite what I feel will be some rumbling and grumbling at perceived greed and all of that, it’s really of no consequence. Standard Boras Operating Procedure. Nothing the Yankees aren’t able to laugh off. Nothing that affects Cano’s relationship with the team at all.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 57
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)