Oct 27, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
George A. King III of the New York Post reports that Scott Boras attempted to contact Yankees general manager Brian Cashman about redoing Robinson Cano‘s contract. A contract that currently calls for $14 million in 2012 and $15 million in 2013, both club options. Boras told the Post that Cashman hasn’t returned his call.
And why would they? $29 million for Cano for the next two years is a good deal. Which, you know, is why they signed the contract in the first place. Cano signed it because he wanted to hedge against risk before he was a full-blown free agent, and he has done that too. That’s how deals work, see?
Of course you never get anything in this world without asking, so it’s not like Boras’ gambit does any harm. Sure, there’s some chutzpah there, but Boras is the Mayor of Chutzpahopolis, so it’s no biggie for him. If Cano is still worth mega bucks when his deal is up after 2013, the Yankees will still pony up for him. They’re not gonna say “No! Boras is a meany!” At the same time, if this move makes it even .001% more likely that the Yankees begin talks about some sort of longer term extension, it will have been more than worth it.
Boras is no idiot. And, despite what I feel will be some rumbling and grumbling at perceived greed and all of that, it’s really of no consequence. Standard Boras Operating Procedure. Nothing the Yankees aren’t able to laugh off. Nothing that affects Cano’s relationship with the team at all.
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)