Oct 27, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
George A. King III of the New York Post reports that Scott Boras attempted to contact Yankees general manager Brian Cashman about redoing Robinson Cano‘s contract. A contract that currently calls for $14 million in 2012 and $15 million in 2013, both club options. Boras told the Post that Cashman hasn’t returned his call.
And why would they? $29 million for Cano for the next two years is a good deal. Which, you know, is why they signed the contract in the first place. Cano signed it because he wanted to hedge against risk before he was a full-blown free agent, and he has done that too. That’s how deals work, see?
Of course you never get anything in this world without asking, so it’s not like Boras’ gambit does any harm. Sure, there’s some chutzpah there, but Boras is the Mayor of Chutzpahopolis, so it’s no biggie for him. If Cano is still worth mega bucks when his deal is up after 2013, the Yankees will still pony up for him. They’re not gonna say “No! Boras is a meany!” At the same time, if this move makes it even .001% more likely that the Yankees begin talks about some sort of longer term extension, it will have been more than worth it.
Boras is no idiot. And, despite what I feel will be some rumbling and grumbling at perceived greed and all of that, it’s really of no consequence. Standard Boras Operating Procedure. Nothing the Yankees aren’t able to laugh off. Nothing that affects Cano’s relationship with the team at all.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)