Oct 27, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
George A. King III of the New York Post reports that Scott Boras attempted to contact Yankees general manager Brian Cashman about redoing Robinson Cano‘s contract. A contract that currently calls for $14 million in 2012 and $15 million in 2013, both club options. Boras told the Post that Cashman hasn’t returned his call.
And why would they? $29 million for Cano for the next two years is a good deal. Which, you know, is why they signed the contract in the first place. Cano signed it because he wanted to hedge against risk before he was a full-blown free agent, and he has done that too. That’s how deals work, see?
Of course you never get anything in this world without asking, so it’s not like Boras’ gambit does any harm. Sure, there’s some chutzpah there, but Boras is the Mayor of Chutzpahopolis, so it’s no biggie for him. If Cano is still worth mega bucks when his deal is up after 2013, the Yankees will still pony up for him. They’re not gonna say “No! Boras is a meany!” At the same time, if this move makes it even .001% more likely that the Yankees begin talks about some sort of longer term extension, it will have been more than worth it.
Boras is no idiot. And, despite what I feel will be some rumbling and grumbling at perceived greed and all of that, it’s really of no consequence. Standard Boras Operating Procedure. Nothing the Yankees aren’t able to laugh off. Nothing that affects Cano’s relationship with the team at all.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)