Oct 27, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
After meeting in Florida this week to formulate a plan to keep CC Sabathia if/when he exercises the opt-out clause in his contract the Yankees have prepared a new contract offer for the 30-year-old left-hander.
David Waldstein of the New York Times reports that they’ll make the proposal to Sabathia and his agent before he can opt out of the current deal, clearly hoping to keep him from hitting the open market.
No details yet on the terms of the new offer, but Waldstein writes that “it would sweeten Sabathia’s already lucrative deal because the Yankees are committed to bringing him back.”
His current deal has four years and $92 million remaining, but Sabathia would have little trouble finding a bigger deal as a free agent even if he ultimately wants to stay in New York. Cliff Lee‘s five-year, $120 million contract with the Phillies from last offseason seems like an obvious starting point.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 3
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 18
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 5
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 4
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)