Both teams were preparing for a Rangers win late last night

Oct 28, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT

champagne pic

I’m sure this stuff happens in every close elimination game, but it’s still the kind of thing that causes your brain to bend a bit and to reflect at just how unpredictable a crazy baseball game can be. From the Post-Dispatch:

La Russa at one point phoned the bullpen to remind his relievers they were to participate in a postgame thanks to the fans barring a late turnaround. The Rangers had shepherded friends and family into a lobby during the eighth inning in anticipation of a celebration.

I think the last job I would ever want to have would be logistics planning for a championship celebration. ¬†You have to be ready for the stuff to go down as expected, but there is so much freaking pressure to not have one of those hubris moments in which the team that looks like it’s going to win is preparing early in such a way that could become bulletin board material.

1. mattjg - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:17 AM

To be fair, LaRussa didn’t actually call to remind his relievers of the postgame event. His exact words were, “Get Rzepcynski warming up,” but someone in the bullpen misheard that as, “When we lose, remind the guys to stick around for an event in which we thank our fans.” It’s a mistake anyone could have made.

2. yankeesfanlen - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Why does this situation remind me of the “Danke Schoen” part of the parade in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off?

3. sknut - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Look at the lady hit the bottle, I bet she could give Cur a run for his money.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Well I’d take my hat off, first, see? What kind of animal swigs like that with their hat on?

• natstowngreg - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Recovered yet? You have a long night of drinking ahead.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Gatorade for me tonight. My liver’s a quitter.

4. Francisco (FC) - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It’s common. It happened to the 86′ Sox. They looked like they were going to be champs and the bubbly was rolled into the clubhouse and preparations made. When things fell apart the staff was frantically moving the stuff out.

• kopy - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I remember when the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl a few years ago, they had brought all of those stupid “Patriots Super Bowl Champs!” t-shirts and hats down to the sideline to give to the players right when the game ends. When the Giants came back, they had to frantically wheel all that stuff away and bring down the Giants’ version.

5. transam7816 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM

@FC
    Yea they showed that on a documentary a couple months back

6. mianfr - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Yeah, George Steinbrenner absolutely would not let FOX set up in the Yankees clubhouse in 2001 until they won, but FOX kept pressing, and Steinbrenner didn’t want to relent, and FOX eventually won out, and…

Damn bloop single.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I said it then and I said it now. The infield should have been at double-play depth, not pulled in. If they had, they’d have played that ball.

7. Kyle - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Brutal stuff for those Rangers supporters. That job cannot be fun.

8. streatordave - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM

It was the worse sports night I have ever seen.
    I just hope the Rangers are in bettershape than I am.
    BTW This is why baseball is still better than foorball.

• paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM

No, this is why baseball is great….that greatness has nothing to do with football and is totally independent of any greatness that may be attributed to it.

9. phukyouk - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Craig i was really hoping for an ATH this morning in honor of the end of the season. but I was really hoping you would call it DTRH (did that really happen) hopefully you do a final one tomorrow.

10. natstowngreg - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Baseball did not go gently into that good night. More than once last night, Baseball stepped up to the abyss that is the long, cold off-season and said, not yet. Just one more inning, then one more game.

Baseball gave me what I wanted, a Game 7. Don’t care who wins, just hope it’s a good game.

11. jarathen - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Reminds me of Game 6 in 2002. At least Wash didn’t give anyone a game ball and an atta boy pat for winning the World Series. That we know of.

• phukyouk - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM