Oct 28, 2011, 7:07 PM EDT
The Rangers and Cardinals are hoping their starting pitchers can rise to the occasion tonight, but it will be all hands on deck if either gets into early trouble.
According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, C.J. Wilson will likely be the first arm out of the bullpen if Matt Harrison needs relief. Wilson has a 6.08 ERA and 24/19 K/BB ratio over 26 2/3 innings this postseason, including a 3.27 ERA and a 7/11 K/BB ratio over two starts during the World Series.
Meanwhile, on the Cardinals’ side, Tony La Russa announced that Jake Westbrook will get the call if Chris Carpenter can’t go deep into the game. Westbrook has made just two appearances this postseason, but earned the win last night by keeping the Rangers off the board in the 11th inning.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (119)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)