Comedy of errors turns thriller as Cardinals win in 11 innings

Oct 28, 2011, 12:46 AM EDT

2011 World Series Game 6 - Texas Rangers v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Five errors. Two wild pitches. The most obviously foreshadowed bunt into a double play in big-league history.

The Cardinals scored in the ninth, 10th and 11th innings to beat the Rangers 10-9 and send the World Series to a Game 7, but it wasn’t exactly a classic.

Sure, there were classic moments in Game 6, no doubt. David Freese‘s game-tying triple with St. Louis down to its final strike in the bottom of the ninth, Josh Hamilton‘s two-run shot in the 10th and Freese’s walkoff homer gave us the most thrilling conclusion to a World Series game in a decade. Also, the back-to-back homers from Adrian Beltre and Nelson Cruz in the seventh were huge, as was Mike Napoli‘s stunning pickoff of Matt Holliday to help preserve a tie for the Rangers in the sixth.

The final three innings was baseball as exciting as it can be. The first eight, well, they were rather iffy.

Freese, with his eyes closed, having a popup go off his glove (fortunately for him, it didn’t hit him in the head afterwards) would have been a lasting image if not for the comeback. Holliday dropping an easy fly because he was worried Rafael Furcal would run into him. Michael Young botching two plays at first base for Texas.

And there were non-errors. Freese certainly should have handled a foul popup in the third, but he was afraid of running into the wall. Nelson Cruz, likewise, was scared of the wall in right when he came up short on Freese’s two-run triple in the ninth.

There was also a mental boner. Shortstop Elvis Andrus turned in one in the eighth that could have cost the Rangers the game prior to Freese’s heroics.

With one on and two out, Daniel Descalso hit a routine grounder to short in the eighth. The Rangers had him played to pull, so second baseman Ian Kinsler was shaded towards first. Still, Kinsler busted it over to second and would have retired Yadier Molina easily had Andrus made the throw there. Instead, Andrus looked to second, delayed and then threw a one-hopper to first too late to retire Descalso.

Jon Jay followed that was a single to right, loading the bases with the Cardinals down 7-5. The rally ended there, though. Furcal, maybe the easiest out of all of the ones the Cards have sent to the plate in the series, tapped the first pitch back to the mound.

The bunt/double play was even more gruesome. The Rangers had pitcher Colby Lewis coming up with runners on first and second and none out in the second. The Cards had no doubt that the bunt was coming and had Albert Pujols and Freese even with the mound on the pitch and charging from there. Lewis missed the first bunt attempt and then connected on the second for as routine of a double play as one will ever see in that situation.

Given the circumstances, manager Ron Washington should have just let him strike out. The Rangers got a run in the inning anyway, as Kinsler followed with an RBI double. They may well have added another one or two had Lewis made just one out instead of two.

Fortunately, the late-inning spectacle was glorious enough to erase some of the memories of the bad baseball that came before. And now both teams have a chance at redemption as we head into Game 7 on Friday.

1. bigleagues - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Texas headline tomorrow morning:

DEEP FREESE

• yankeesgameday - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Thus is to Matt: how in the heck is that game not a classic?

• bigleagues - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Many different newspapers went with that headline . . . but Newsday made it better:

Deep Freese Leaves Texas Cold.

2. qcubed3 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Love McCarver’s line at the end of the madness: “how did this happen?”

3. joshftw - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:49 AM

IN! SANE!

4. Best kept secret - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Best world series game hands down!! im’ a die hard yankees fan but honestly watching the hometown kid david freese with a huge hit and a walk off is just amazing! as matter of fact this whole season for the cards is crazy..win or lose tomorrow this team has earned all my respect

• bigleagues - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I have a feeling there are many more Cardinals fans this morning (than, say, yesterday morning) embellishing their Freese talk with: “I remember seeing that kid play in High School and I just knew he’d be a big leaguer” or words to that effect.

5. cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Matt, really. Freese with the drop of the easy pop. Then, the ultimate moment; Freese with the homer. Give they boy some love, eh? He came through. Game 7, comin’ up. What else do you want from a World Series?

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Oh, yeah. Need I mention, Fat Elvis, like a stud?

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:02 AM

I am so pumped after this game I would challenge you to beaver wrestling.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Dude. I am a professional. Do not test me.

• Old Gator - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Speaking of beaver, I’m writing this at 7AM in the Admiral’s Club at Macondo International, waiting for my flight to Toronto for the Cowboy Junkies Hugh’s Room show tomorrow night, buzzed from lack of sleep resulting from high adrenaline levels that were themselves consequent of that fucking incredible Game 6 that I had to stay awake to watch through to its Coyote-and-Roadrunner conclusion last night even though I knew I had to haul my carcass off the slab at crack-o-dawn, now confronted with a trio of devastatingly beautiful Latinas who appear to be models heading to or returning from a photo session given away by their portfolio cases sitting with their absurdly perfect legs crossed opposite me about whom I am doing my damndest to appear indifferent, abetted in my faux disinterest by age, fatigue and REM-less unassimilated neurotransmitter fractionates. Ergo, I not only am willing to retract just about anything I write this morning, but to deny under oath that it was me who ever wrote it.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Dude, pictures or it didn’t happen.

• wlschneider09 - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Take pictures OG. They’re models, they won’t mind.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Yeah Gator…what Schneider said!

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:08 PM

this

6. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:51 AM

“but it wasn’t exactly a classic”

Sure whatever you say. This game was AMAZING.

7. trbowman - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:52 AM

No way the Cards can lose game 7 after that.

• Old Gator - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:57 AM

No way the Red Sox can lose game 7 after Fisk’s homer.

• bobinnh85 - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Shades of ’86, the Sox were one strike away in game 6 also.

(you think Buckner was in the stands last night?)

8. baseballisboring - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:52 AM

That was the most exciting, awful game I’ve ever seen

9. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:53 AM

And what the hell is a mental “boner”?

• bigleagues - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Usually I only get those when Alyssa Milano talks baseball . . .

• Old Gator - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:45 AM

The kind you usually have at my age.

10. Joe - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Holliday picked off third: Never seen that anywhere else. Ever. Unexcusable.

• schlom - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Holliday was probably thinking he didn’t need to touch the bag to be called safe.

11. Walk - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:54 AM

One of the best offensive playoff games i have ever seen. Way to go redbirds, not a cardinals fan here, not really texas either though i was hoping to see texas get its first series win. Special shout out to the cardinals fans at the game for having their team’s back even though they were down multiple times and staying for it all. I was especially impressed when adrian beltre went for a foul ball late in the game and the crowd gave way, even the comments were of the tamer variety. Well played.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM

That’s how we do it in the Lou.’ Respect the game…respect the other team…and root for our Cardinals like it’s nobody’s business! Thanks for the kind words Walk. Unfreakingbelievable!

12. bigharold - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:56 AM

That was a great game. Enhanced because I turned off the sound and listened to music during the game.

The game spoke for itself, … tremendous. Too bad somebody had too lose.

13. mgflolox - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:58 AM

This is EXACTLY what we need in a World Series. Bring on Game 7, I’m hoping for another classic.

14. halladaysbiceps - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Guys, this was a game! I give David Freese and Lance Berkman all the fortitude in the world for making this a great game. What a GAME!!!

15. Old Gator - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:59 AM

And Beltre underrunning that popped up bunt and sabotaging a possible triple play in the tenth….damn, this was a game to remember. As Bill the Cat used to say, thpfthttthhhh…

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Bill the Cat? OMG! My hero quoted by OG!?? Ack!

16. halladaysbiceps - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM

I’m pretty drunk right now, with this extra game. I will try and type as best as I can. What a frikin game!!!

17. royalintx - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Only a complete d-bag could experience that amazing game and lead the story with “comedy of errors” etc…
    Get out if your mom’s basement much?

18. Kyle - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:06 AM

What a beautiful mess. Baseball! It rules.

19. paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Are you kidding me?

What a game!

Scoring in the 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th….down to their last strike twice. Freaking crazy.

That game was all kinds of fun….I’m exhausted…but there is no way I can go to bed right now.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:08 AM

paper,

Great game!!! We can at least agree with that. Back and forth, back and forth! I was on the edge of my seat.

• paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:13 AM

I wasn’t in my seat, I was jumping up and down like an idiot and pacing back and forth the last 4 innings. That game was just crazy.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:17 AM

paper,

What an enjoyable game to watch, all of the miscues by both teams aside. Wasn’t clean, but St. Louis’ lineup showed why they are there in the World Series. I swear to god, Freese is an animal this whole playoffs. He’s like Cody Ross was last year, only better.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Down two runs TWICE…AND down to their last strike TWICE. Unreal.
      I woke up my Wife and kids. Blood shot eyes…pounding headache this morning…but a good kinda’ hurt…you know?

20. halladaysbiceps - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:07 AM

I just wonder what my pitchers Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels are saying.

I will sum it up: “I wish we were there.”

Bastards, you got beat by a better team, the St. Louis Cardinals (it pains me to say it, but it’s true this year).

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:16 AM

by dog HB, I love me some Doc, but I gotta agree; the Cards are the SACK!

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Doc spelled backwards is Cod. Now, if you inflect phonetics, it’s “gaaaaaaad”, if you get my drift.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM

You have no idea how close you came to Truth buddy. What do you think ‘cur’ spelled backwards means?

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Ah, “RUC”, are u c? Not sure I understand.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:26 AM

cur,

Backwards “Are you Canadian?” Yes?

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Actually its not that easy when you put it like that; ‘cur’ = ‘ruc’ = ‘rik’ = me, see?

Game 7. That’s what matters. My liver is in agony at the very thought. Its gonna have to suck it up. I can’t get over what I just saw; World Series magic. No other big sport has this; extra innings. h\Home team with the final say. Goat to hero in one swing. Holy dog, I may never recover, but it was worth. it.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:32 AM

cur,

I put away a 20 pack on a 30 pack watching this game. I’m pretty messed up. But, I can still somewhat type. How? Because I’m used to it.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Dude, my liver bows to your liver. It is not worthy.

• wlschneider09 - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Two seasons in the HB world: baseball season and detox season?

21. okwhitefalcon - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Joe Buck’s call on Freese’s game winner:

“And we’ll see you tomorrow night!”

The exact same call his dad, the great Jack Buck used when Kirby Puckett hit the game winner for the Twins 20 years ago to send that WS to Game 7.

Fucking awesome.

• sdelmonte - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Also to quote Jack Buck, “I can’t believe what I just saw!”

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:03 AM

And another one…Go Crazy Folks! Go Crazy!

22. yankeesfanlen - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Rangers should have brought in Mo in the ninth…..oh wait, the year ends in a “1″.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Len; love ya man, but this time, we leave ARod alone…with Cameron Diaz. The night belonged to Mrs. Rambo Diaz; twice the woman Cameron ever will be and 10 times as good looking. She came through for Fat Elvis…who was a stud.

23. paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:11 AM

I would like to have Mike Napoli scanned before game 7….I don’t know what they did with the original one…but this one can’t be human, he should have a broken ankle after that play at 2nd base…instead, he stays in the game, keeps hitting and gunning guys down on the bases.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:25 AM

‘lions old boy; Mike Scoscia’s ass should be f**kin’ fired after this.

• paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:28 AM

I agree….if not for Scoscia being a tard, the Cardinals are celebrating as WS champions

• antlerclaws - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Adamantium?

24. paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:34 AM

For dinner tonight, I had beer and fried chicken (not Popeye’s though)….I’m having it again tomrrow….but I’m not superstitious or nothing….can’t hurt though can it, and it was tasty.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:37 AM

pssst; have some biscuits, too. Tastier with the biscuits.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Paper…I am not superstitious or nothing either. That’s why I haven’e shaved since the playoffs started and I have worn the exact same clothes during every game.
      But I am not superstitious either.

25. txnative61 - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Wow! What an emotional roller coaster. Hero’s choke, goats redeemed, safe 3 run victory, tied, 2 run victory, tied, walk off home run, tomorrow’s got to be an anti climax after that! Baseball at its worst, and best, but definitely most exciting I’ve seen.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4047)