David Freese plays the hero again as Cards force Game 7

Oct 28, 2011, 1:44 AM EDT

Cardinals' David Freese steps on home plate surrounded by his teammates after hitting the game winning home run against the Rangers in Game 6 of MLB's World Series baseball championship in St. Louis Reuters

The fairytale continues for a certain St. Louisan.

Cardinals third baseman David Freese, a child of the Gateway City’s western suburbs, played the hero two different times in Thursday night’s thrilling 10-9 Game 6 victory over the Rangers, continuing to build on his magical 2011 postseason run.

In the bottom of the ninth inning, with the Cardinals down 7-5, Freese ripped a ball over the head of Rangers right fielder Nelson Cruz to score Albert Pujols from second base and Lance Berkman from first. Then in the 11th, with the Redbirds needing a final knockout punch, Freese launched a walkoff home run to straightaway center field.

Freese muffed an easy pop-up earlier in the game, and he’s struggled at other times defensively throughout this improbable October run, but his bat has more than made it up for his misgivings at the hot corner.

The 28-year-old was 5-for-18 with a home run, two doubles and five RBI in the Cardinals’ NLDS defeat of the Phillies, then went 12-for-22 with three home runs and nine RBI in the Birds’ NLCS defeat of the Brewers. And now he’s 7-for-21 with a home run, two doubles, a triple and five RBI in this stunning Fall Classic.

Freese has tallied 48 total bases in these playoffs, setting an all-time record. Behind him is teammate Albert Pujols, who has 47. We’d bet that will might find a long-term crown-wearer in Friday night’s Game 7.

1. marinersnate - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM

I thought this was a great game as I watched (very poor defensively), but it must have been better then I had thought. Early reports say that ESPN actually interupted their continuing NFL coverage to actually have a 90 second report on this world series game! I am still in shock.

“Thank you Buster, in St. Louis, for that up to date report. Our crack staff here at ESPN is working hard to figure out just what the heck a World Series is. Unfortunately, we are out of time. Now back to Suzy with her breaking news of Rex Ryan’s latest tweets…”

2. dondada10 - Oct 28, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Bad defense aside, this was one of the best games I ever saw.

3. hotkarlsandwich - Oct 28, 2011 at 7:26 AM

That was the greatest game that these eyes had ever seen

4. Francisco (FC) - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:52 AM

David Freese is this year’s Cody Ross

• paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:03 AM

No, he isn’t. David Freese is actually a good player and would not go unclaimed through waivers.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Post-season framing and context. It’s not meant to be a general comparison.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Yeah really. Freese flat out ropes the ball (and has since coming up). His only problem has been staying healthy enough to play.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM

His Defense could be better. I’ve seen him miss stuff most other 3rd basemen wouldn’t have missed. I really only have seen him during the playoffs so my limited viewing lends itself to small sample size.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Without a doubt Jonny. That is precisely why TLR (much to the dismay of Paper) pulls him late in the games for Descalso. Fortunately, that wasn’t possible last night. Otherwise, his triple isn’t hit. But your point is taken…his defense is sometimes suspect.

• paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:47 PM

His defense has been pretty bad in the playoffs; he was better during the regular season. Descalso isn’t really any better defensively, he has just as many problems with sharply hit balls, especially to his right.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM

PL, I saw him miss them to his right on sharply hit balls. Last night’s drop I consider a fluke, but he does have trouble to his right. Of course he’s still developing in ways, so you never know how good he can get.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Paper: I am going to say this again….Daniel Descalso is one of the best defensive players on the ENTIRE team. The ONLY one that you can even consider better defensively is Yadi. Sometimes I wonder if you even watch them play. Wow!

5. jdocker - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Really? Another story about the world series? I’m sure the Yankees/Redsox did stuff last night too. It wouldn’t kill you to report on that.

6. sportsdrenched.com - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Fortunatly, I was unable to watch the Bad D part of this game. I only got to see the 7th inning on….which was awesome.

Can’t wait till tonight. The family is on notice that there is a Game 7.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Hahaha! Yeah…mine was on notice last night at about 1:00 A.M. when I woke them up.
      I made my wife set up in bed to watch the post game.
      Talk about geeked! Oh…and I feel like Fido’s ass again this morning. Beer…cigarettes…Beer….Beer…cigarettes…cigarettes…Beer…cigarettes…and a little ass Tostino’s pizza @ 1:30 A.M. And I quite smoking 1 1/2 weeks PRIOR to the playoffs starting.
      Man I feel like crap…but a good kinda of crap. If that makes any sense.

7. Kyle - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Fairy tale stuff for the local kid. Unbelievable.

8. Jonny 5 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Drew, psssst. Drew….. Are you ashamed of yourself yet? TX in 5 huh??? turrible, just turrible of you. No faith son… SMH.. ;>P

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline