Dodgers set to hire MLB’s first female physical trainer

Oct 28, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT

sue falsone dodgers

Stephania Bell of ESPN.com reports that the Dodgers will soon make Sue Falsone the first female head physical trainer in MLB history when they announce her hiring next week.

Falsone has served as a consultant to the Dodgers since 2007 as part of her job as the vice president of performance physical therapy and team sports at Athletes’ Performance in Arizona.

Curt Schilling rehabbed with Falsone when he was pitching for the Red Sox and told Bell that he “can’t imagine anyone more equipped to get that position, both from an intelligence perspective and the makeup of her personality.”

1. shaggylocks - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM

“Not only that, according to Bell she’ll be the first head physical trainer in any of the four major sports.”

Umm… I find that hard to believe.

• aaronmoreno - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Huh, maybe this is a bigger deal then we realize.

• paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

You do? Can you remember a female head trainer trotting out onto the diamond, court, field, or ice? Being a trainer and being the HEAD trainer is not the same thing. Kim Ng has been an assistent GM….which is not the same as the GM.

• shaggylocks - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM

No, but I DO remember seeing head trainers before. I think they’re common in all four major sports.

• istillbelieveinblue - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I don’t find this hard to believe at all. Think about it, roughly 30 head trainers per league at any given time. That’s only about 120 positions. Also, remember how difficult it was to get female reporters into the locker rooms? And they are only allowed in for a specific time window with the other reporters. The head trainer is in there every day, basically all day. I wish her nothing but the best of luck!

• shaggylocks - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Yeah, head trainers are pretty common.

• shaggylocks - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:08 PM

You folks read the sentence you’re responding to, right?

• b7p19 - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM

This is really hard to watch (read). I want to see how far this goes before the face palms happen.

2. Francisco (FC) - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM

She reminds me of Karen Allen… late 80’s early 90’s Karen Allen…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Or the boss lady from House – the one who also appeared in the West Wing pilot.

3. stoutfiles - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Sleeping her way to the top!

• Kevin S. - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Yeah, it couldn’t possibly be that she was the best person for the job. I’m sure Curt Schilling’s comments were only because she gave good head, right? *sarcasm*

• Alex K - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Misogyny at it’s finest!

4. jonirocit - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Wait I thought they already had a female trainer . Yeah I’m sure they did cuz Stan conte ran like a scared little girl rather than face the steroid question left here in sf . Or did He run down there scare cuz AJ punched him in the daddy area.

5. APBA Guy - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Chelsea of the EPL have a female head physio (same as a trainer). By all accounts she’s doing very well with them. Keep in mind that a few teams with English football connections (Red Sox, Oakland) are exploring ways of improving offseason training in baseball to incorporate soccer training methods with a view to lessening motion-related injuries and improving baseball players endurance.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Nice to see the Dodgers doing SOMETHING worth standing up for. I’d like to see more women in significant sports roles. It’s been ridiculously male-dominant for way too long. And yep, I’m a dude.

7. foreverchipper10 - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Way too many negative comments about this hire. I think it’s a great thing and I wish her luck. Hopefully this will open a door for more women (some of whom may be better qualified) in the world of professional sports.

8. presidentmiraflores - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Keith Hernandez isn’t going to like this.

9. mscott4 - Oct 30, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I shouldn’t have to point this out to a good sports blog but there is no physical trainer profession. There are physical therapists and athletic trainers, and some people are both, but no physical trainer.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline