God told Josh Hamilton he was going to hit a home run

Oct 28, 2011, 7:36 AM EDT

God

Josh Hamilton hit a huge homer to put the Rangers up by two in the 10th inning of last night’s thriller.  After the game, he said this:

“I would tell y’all something, but y’all wouldn’t believe me … The Lord told me it was going to happen before it happened. You hadn’t hit a home run in a while. You’re about to right now.’”

Before we go any further, can I tell you how much I wish that David Freese, when asked about his walkoff homer in the 11th, said that Satan had told him he’d do it, and then he held up the devil horns, Dio-style?  That would have been epic.

Anyway:  I realize that I’m a big damned-to-Hell agnostic type and everything, so I’m not an authority here. I’m not going to push my non-belief on others. Even if I don’t subscribe to it, I’m not one of those militant atheist types who turn going after religion into a crusade (those people have their own, almost religious zealotry that is more than a little ironic). I think religion can be an important part of a person’s life. I’ve seen it work wonders in people. So if Josh Hamilton believes that God told him he was going to hit a home run and that fills him with wonder and purpose, I feel great for Josh Hamilton.

But can I ask the believers out there: If there is a God, do you really think He rolls like this? That He takes interest in the events of Man on such a granular level that He’s not only telling a guy like Hamilton that he’s going to hit a homer, but He’s also going to note beforehand that Hamilton hadn’t hit a homer in a while?  God cares about baseball stats?  Is God … a sabermetrician?!

No, of course he isn’t. If He was, He would have said “Josh, you are going to get on base.” Or else He wouldn’t have cared about baseball at all, because I’m told statheads hate baseball and only love numbers, so never mind.

Anyway, theology is not my bag. Maybe God does tell people when they’re about to do their job well.  When you’re omnipotent you can multitask. Attend to the suffering here, orchestrate the wonder and miracle of creation there, smite the wicked in another place and still have all of the time in the world to tell rich athletes that they’re about to do something special.  Really, it’s not a problem.

Is it?

149 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. chiefagc5675 - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM

What BS. Stop giving these religious freaks space. Was God just teasing him before “letting” Freeze hit the game winner? God doesn’t give a shit about baseball or the Texans or the Cardinals or any football QB who are always pointing to the sky as though God wants them to win. It’s a freakin game- sometimes the good guys win- sometimes the religious freaks win- how does this moron feel about what God did to him?

2. dannie0107 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Gotta love God’s sense of humor … telling Hamilton he’s gonna hit a homer in the 10th but not telling him about the one he has planned for Freese in the bottom of the 11th.

As a Yankee fan I’m loving this series.

3. dischmount - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Yes, Josh,. But God also told Tony LaRussa not to sweat it, because the Freese was going to hit a HR in the 11th and the Cards would win the game.

4. miketreedy - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:07 PM

This site is the Huffington Post of baseball blogs. Up to you to not be a believer but to make fun of Josh is garbage. What he has accomplished and been able to overcome far out weighs anything you have done in your life I am sure. I think I will go with Hamilton here over you.

5. scottj27 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM

If it really was God, I’m pissed. I haven’t slept with a woman in a DAMN long time and He isn’t doing jack about that.

6. scottj27 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:12 PM

By the way, if there really is a God, I have a very hard time believing he cares about who wins a baseball game.

7. edpeters101 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Many people say it is God talking to them when they hear unexplained things in their head. Kinda keeps them from thinking they are cracking up, and that’s fine. Whatever floats your boat.. YMMV

• tuftsb - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM

8. tuftsb - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM

To quote baseball history via John Updike “Gods do not answer letters”.

I think Texas would have won Game 6 if the team had a gentleman’s agreement and released its Jewish players – Kinsler and Feldman – much like Hamilton fired his Jewish agent for a born-again one when he got successful.

9. tuftsb - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Peter Griffin You told Child Services that we steal lawn mowers and cheat on our taxes and worship some guy named Stan.

Bonnie Swanson Actually, I said Satan. That’s a typo.

• phukyouk - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Love Thy Neighbor!

• phukyouk - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM

GDDMIT! “love They Trophy”

10. alauhoff - Oct 28, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Did god tell Josh to throw that baseball in the stands which resulted in a father falling to his death in front of his son? Millions of humans are starving to death right now yet this god is more concerned about a baseball players home run total? This kind of religious thinking is obscene and should not be tolerated by the media.

11. bradfregger - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

No … I don’t believe that “God” the Universal Consciousness plays like this. However, I do give credence to the contention that there is something out there that has a knowledge of the future and other issues and that sometimes that information is transferred to our conscious minds. When this happens, if you believe in a God that is watching over you, you attribute the experience to that God. Is that so unusual, or bad?

Let’s take the flip side, you don’t believe in anything out there, so your conscious mind ignores any input that it doesn’t understand from a “scientific” point of view. If information is available from this source and you’re ignoring it, whose the one who benefits most, the one who attributes it to God, or the one who ignores the source? There’s no doubt in my mind whose the winner.

To suggest that humanity has more than just begun to figure out how the universe works, is to give much more credit to science and technology than it deserves. 1000 years from now our progeny will be looking at our knowledge much like we look at the knowledge of those who lived 10,000 years ago. That’s how fast knowledge is expanding. And, they will laugh at our current scientists who insisted that all knowledge resided in things we could observe and measure with the technology that exists today.

• yanksguy23 - Oct 30, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Our knowledge is expanding because of science and secular learning, not in spite of it. And the first thing scientists says is that we don’t know much and have the universe yet to learn. Hanging on to bronze-age myths or other delusions won’t advance our knowledge a bit. My bet is on science.

• Erik Manning - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I think science and faith rarely intersect, but when they do they are complimentary. The universe began to exist. The physics of our universe are so finely tuned for intelligent life that physicists postulate an undetectable multiverse in order to explain it away as random rather than design. Even Francis Crick, the co-discover of DNA called the origin of life “appears to be…a miracle”.

Do these three facts fit better in an atheistic worldview or a theistic one?

12. schmedley69 - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I have a friend who met a girl at a church dance and proposed to her the next day because “God came on his car radio and told him to marry her” as he was driving home from the dance. He called her the next day and told her the story and proposed, and she said yes. They got married and had a kid, and I didn’t hear from him for 5 or 6 years. Then one day out of the blue he called me and told me that he was getting a divorce. I was tempted to ask him if God came on his car radio and told him to divorce her, but I didn’t have the nerve.

13. wgward - Oct 29, 2011 at 12:45 AM

In life, people who are self-reliant do a lot better than those who need a Linus blanket.

14. Russell Houghtaling - Oct 31, 2011 at 12:14 AM

I’m certainly a lay-theologian by the most generous measure, but I follow Jesus. I’ve written my thoughts on your post at Christian Sports Press. Really, the essential question is does God care about sports? I try to answer that using the word of the God, the Bible, as my reference point. I’d love for you to take a look. Thanks!

• Russell Houghtaling - Oct 31, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Correct link here. My bad :)

15. baseballstars - Oct 31, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Given Hamilton’s track record with God (don’t forget about the home run derby in Yankee Stadium), I’d say he has established stronger ties than say, John Hagee.

16. Erik Manning - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I think it’s hard to explain to someone that doesn’t know God, but I think God could roll like that. At the risk of looking like a wacko, here is my “hearing God” story. Once when I was in prayer, I perceived that my mom – who lived miles away at the time – may be involved in a car accident. I believe this was the Holy Spirit warning me. I prayed my mom would be delayed. Several weeks later, I asked my mom about it. I was pretty confident that I had heard from God, but I could have been mistaken. As it turned out, my mom confirmed that she did indeed get distracted and was late to work, and on her way she got stuck in traffic because there was a multi-car pile up on the freeway. She recalled that seeing the wreckage that day was unnerving and, she was quite shocked with what I shared with her. It was a sign to her.

So what I’m saying is someone doesn’t hear some sort of audible voice, it could just be an inner perception about something that is going to happen or is happening. Maybe Hamilton had too much pizza for lunch. But maybe he did hear something like that and it just encouraged him that he could actually hear from God; something like that could strengthen his faith and show him God is interested in what he’s doing. I can totally see where Craig is coming from, I used to be pretty agnostic myself. On the other hand, I fail to see how God isn’t interested in his children and will not do things that will encourage them in their faith and relationship with him.

Now, I think there needs to be some caution of course. People have done insane things in the name of hearing God. These things should be tested. If God is all good, then what he tells us would have to fit in line with goodness and moral rightness, not things like crashing planes into buildings, drowning your children or letting all the animals out of the zoo, er whatever.

17. materialman80 - Nov 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I’m good with it. I notice God didn’t tell him the Rangers were going to win the Series…

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto