God told Josh Hamilton he was going to hit a home run

Oct 28, 2011, 7:36 AM EDT

God

Josh Hamilton hit a huge homer to put the Rangers up by two in the 10th inning of last night’s thriller.  After the game, he said this:

“I would tell y’all something, but y’all wouldn’t believe me … The Lord told me it was going to happen before it happened. You hadn’t hit a home run in a while. You’re about to right now.’”

Before we go any further, can I tell you how much I wish that David Freese, when asked about his walkoff homer in the 11th, said that Satan had told him he’d do it, and then he held up the devil horns, Dio-style?  That would have been epic.

Anyway:  I realize that I’m a big damned-to-Hell agnostic type and everything, so I’m not an authority here. I’m not going to push my non-belief on others. Even if I don’t subscribe to it, I’m not one of those militant atheist types who turn going after religion into a crusade (those people have their own, almost religious zealotry that is more than a little ironic). I think religion can be an important part of a person’s life. I’ve seen it work wonders in people. So if Josh Hamilton believes that God told him he was going to hit a home run and that fills him with wonder and purpose, I feel great for Josh Hamilton.

But can I ask the believers out there: If there is a God, do you really think He rolls like this? That He takes interest in the events of Man on such a granular level that He’s not only telling a guy like Hamilton that he’s going to hit a homer, but He’s also going to note beforehand that Hamilton hadn’t hit a homer in a while?  God cares about baseball stats?  Is God … a sabermetrician?!

No, of course he isn’t. If He was, He would have said “Josh, you are going to get on base.” Or else He wouldn’t have cared about baseball at all, because I’m told statheads hate baseball and only love numbers, so never mind.

Anyway, theology is not my bag. Maybe God does tell people when they’re about to do their job well.  When you’re omnipotent you can multitask. Attend to the suffering here, orchestrate the wonder and miracle of creation there, smite the wicked in another place and still have all of the time in the world to tell rich athletes that they’re about to do something special.  Really, it’s not a problem.

Is it?

149 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Jonny 5 - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Craig, I have a bone to pick.

If there is a God, He would never wear that hideous crown.

• Bill - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:23 AM

God told me that people who don’t instantly recognize this image need to drop everything and go watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail right freaking now.

• sportsdrenched.com - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM

What God really told Hamilton is: “Stop that grovelling!”

2. unclemosesgreen - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:22 AM

From masses of opiates to the opiate of the masses.

3. sexyrexys - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:25 AM

way to ruin a suprise god

• unclemosesgreen - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Seriously, God must especially hate Josh Hamilton. He didn’t even say “spoiler alert.”

4. phukyouk - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:28 AM

GOD: You, Strawberry, hit a home run.
    Hamilton: Okay, skip. (hits a home run)
    GOD: Ha-ha! I told him to do that.
    JESUS: Brilliant strategy Sir!

• phukyouk - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:29 AM

EDIT FUNCTION!
      You, Hamilton, hit a home run.*

• Bill - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I appreciate the lack of an edit function in this case. I love Simpsons references, but somehow always need to be hit over the head to get them. Well done.

5. ThatGuy - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Are we sure it wasn’t an Angel?

6. paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:36 AM

God: “Josh, you will hit a home run”
    Josh: “Good idea o’lord”
    God: “course it’s a good idea”

7. angrycorgi - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:40 AM

When you’re not forcing your political views down our throats, you’re forcing your religious views on us too. Thanks Craig. I know its tough to believe that there’s a God…after all, I mean how could God allow such an ugly man as you exist in His creation?

• paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Stating one’s beliefs and forcing them down one’s throat are quite distinct. If you would like to see someone forcing their beliefs down other people throats you can look at the entire history of Christianity in the US…where a relatively small group of people have actively tried to legislate their belief system into law.

• Bill - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:57 AM

This is the dumbest comment I’ve ever seen on this blog that didn’t have “Phillies” or “Howard” in it somewhere.

• phukyouk - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM

So your response to his belief’s (or lack thereof) is to call him ugly? GO RELIGION!
      and people wonder why i have stopped being religious. It’s amazing that your hate for someone else’s stance is stronger than your own belief. stay classy my friend

• philsieg - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Hey, I don’t see you hooking up with Tiffany Simon five days a week like Craig does.

• thefalcon123 - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:43 PM

“I mean how could God allow such an ugly man as you exist in His creation?”

….so, are you agreeing with Craig that there is no God? I ‘m confused.

8. sknut - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I geniunely believe him. He is strong in faith and it fuels him and it did cure him of his addiction. I am giving him credit for being out front with it.

And to Craigs point about God caring about baseball and such its not that he cares about baseball per sae, its he cares about the people playing the game and their salavation.

I can see people being bothered by what Hamiltion said, especially if you are a non believer or a beliver of a different faith, and thats cool because at least in America we are allowed to have this converstaion without fear.

9. sportsdrenched.com - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I’m a lay (that means I have no formal education in ministry, if you’re mind is still in the Bibi Jones post) leader within my faith community. I don’t consider Craig’s post as pushing his agenda. This is a conversation that happens within all denominations and if religion is to remain relevant it needs to engage this conversation head on and not run from it.

I have hard time believing God cares about any sporting event. If he’s not going to fiat the world’s real troubles away I find it hard to believe that he cares who hits home runs. And he’s not going to. Jesus’ has many parables illustrating that their will be storms in life. And if God did care about sporting events, are there no believers on the Cardinals? St Louis? If something good happens to one team, something bad has to happen to the other. I’m all for praying for safety of players. However, praying for a competitive advantage gets on my nerves.

I don’t know what Josh Hamilton does with his money or his time, so he might do this already. But, If Josh Hamilton wants to glorify God I would hope he would use those resources to help the unfortunate, and lonely instead of making comments to the media.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:22 AM

If God did care about a sporting event, It would definitely be baseball. And if he were to have a favorite team, he would definitely punish that team for his love of the team.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM

You’re telling me God is a Cub’s fan?

• Jonny 5 - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I said punish, not destroy.

• Alex K - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Low blow, guys.

• sportsdrenched.com - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I have to agree with this. Mathew 5:5 says “Blessed are the meek; for they shall inherit the earth”

That means Royals fans will own all of you!

• midjerseyfatcat - Oct 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM

But what about the boxer that just got done beating the “Hell” out of is opponent and he gives “all the glory to God”? What did the other guy do to deserve such a beating? The winner of the fight might have been a real “scumbag” in real life but just got done beating the hell out of a priest! so where to “Mighty One” does the truth lie in all of this?

I believe God is in all of us and we use him to guide us and if our thoughts happen to be in line with our feeling at that moment when we need him the most, then we just like Josh just might think that “God told me”. So if god was with Josh and the Rangers last night and they lost, does that mean that the “Devil” was with St. Louis? I don’t think so as beer has been called “the liquid of the Gods”.

10. psousa1 - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:04 AM

First God told Adrian Gonzalez the Red Sox wouldn’t make the playoffs now he tells Hamilton he’s going to hit a HR. I’m just glad he’s not in my fantasy league.

Ahhh. Where ever you draw your strength from and it does no harm to anyone is great by me. More power to him. The last of the true 5 tool players

11. gammagammahey - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM

So, if Hamilton had failed to hit a HR there, would we have seen him curse Jobu, I mean Jesus, and say he’d just do it himself next time?

• yanksguy23 - Oct 30, 2011 at 11:28 PM

You trying to say Jesus Christ can’t hit a curveball?

12. Cyn - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM

“First God told Adrian Gonzalez the Red Sox wouldn’t make the playoffs…”

See, this is my problem with Hamilton. He says something stupid and it’s time to bash anyone who believes. Gonzalez didn’t say God told him anything. He is of the belief that everything happens because it’s God’s plan. Regardless of what you do or don’t believe, the two situations are completely different.

13. aceshigh11 - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Holy Diver…you’ve been down too long in the midnight sea.
    Oh, what’s becoming of me!!

Ride the fastball
    You can see the seams
    And you know it’s mean

14. thefalcon123 - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM

GOD: Hey Josh,

JOSH: Hey God, what’s up.

GOD: Not much man. Hey, you’re gonna hit a home run in this at bat. You’re a great guy, you deserve it.

JOSH: WOW! Thanks! That’s pretty awesome. So, I get to be the hero tonight and stuff?

GOD: No.

JOSH: Wait…but you just said I’d hit a home run….

GOD: Yeah, but the Cardinals are going to end up winning the game in really dramatic fashion.

JOSH: HUH? Why have me hit the home run in the first place?

GOD: I work in mysterious ways.

• phukyouk - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Comment of the day! that was awesome. than you!

15. mattjg - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM

If the Christian concept of God is correct, He is omniscient and omnipotent. Helping an athlete hit a home run or score a touchdown wouldn’t divert precious God-resources from helping starving African children–He’s omnipotent after all.

That being said, I’m highly skeptical that He’d appear to an athlete to tell that athlete he’s going to hit a home run or that He would interfere for one side or player in a sporting event because that side or player is more devout.

16. vanmorrissey - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Can I ask God for another game like last night, minus the sloppiness, for tonight to make it a truly epic WS?

17. spudchukar - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Baseball is God.

18. savoirlaire - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Well, God may have told him he was going to hit that homer, but that guy who works at Buffalo Wild Wingsd had the last laugh by making Freese hit the triple and homer with his secret sprinkler control room…

19. sdelmonte - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I am a religious Jew – alas, God (or, rather the Torah as interpreted by religious authorities I chose to accept) told me I can’t watch Game Seven because it’s the Sabbath – but I just don’t think that God cares that much about baseball. Or that he speaks to professional athletes in so direct a way when he doesn’t talk to presidents or people of far more importance.

But if Hamilton is where he is because of his faith, I am fine with that. Especially if that faith saves him from being in the bottle.

• phukyouk - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Just leave the TV on, it’s what i’m going to do….

• sdelmonte - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM

But then I’m left with 20 hours of Fox programming.

• phukyouk - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Nah… just use your elbow to shut if off after. don’t you know that our religion is all about loopholes.

20. jbandit2116 - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Praise Jeebus!

21. humanexcrement - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:11 AM

People spend years killing their brains with drugs and alcohol, and then when they get to the brink of total self-destruction they start talking to God. Funny how that works.

22. mochapup - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Like Josh said, you wouldn’t believe him. I used to be like a lot of you. And really, I understand. But you all really don’t know what you’re saying. Sure, it sounds crazy to believe in Someone you can’t see, hear, or touch with your senses-until you do. I will gladly be called ‘crazy’ for my faith-and have been. Maybe God did tell Josh he was about to hit a homer, maybe He didn’t. But it’s possible. All that matters is you know that God IS real, and that He loves you.

• sknut - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I couldn’t have said it any better.

• humanexcrement - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Yep. You hear voices in your head. Must be an all-powerful telepathic eternal omniscient omnipotent immaterial being who lives outside the universe and cares who you go to bed with. In fact, everything we don’t understand must be proof of His existence. Funny how we have no evidence for this creator but voices in people’s heads, personal conviction, “faith” and miracles that happened thousands of years ago. Nothing tangible, of course, you always just have to take someone else’s word for it. People call you crazy because you ARE crazy, at least on this subject. Keep in mind “crazy” does not mean completely incapacitated, incapable of living a relatively normal life–the fact that you hold down a job, pay your bills and raise a few kids doesn’t mean you are immune to mental delusions. And in my experience one red flag for people who truly are crazy is that they never, ever doubt their own sanity. Go preach to someone stupid enough to believe you.

• Alex K - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM

We’ve found the militant atheist in the group!

• humanexcrement - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Damn right.

23. Ben - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I can’t believe we’ve had a discussion of baseball and religion without the greatest statement of faith of our times.

24. shandbi - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Well CraigC, I usually think you are full of –it but I have changed my mind and now I love you. This is the wittiest HBT I have seen from you and I LOVE IT! Also, the comments are GREAT! MORE please!
    I don’t like when ANY person used their ‘gods’ name in vain but especially when athlete’s ‘praise the lord’. That bothers me most for a reason that would just take too much time to explain. Athlete’s should just stick to thanking their mothers and agents.
    ‘God told me I was going to hit a home run’…OMG, I cannot stop laughing.

25. belevo - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Hamilton is just following the great tradition of the Rangers. Remember G.W. Bush, former Ranger owner, went to war with Iraq because the “higher father” instructed him. Results were 1/2 million Iraqi civilians killed, 1 trillion in U.S. $, and 5,000+ U.S. servicemen dead.

• thefalcon123 - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Despite being a left-wing, 2000 Nader voting, Matt Taibbi loving, single-payer health care for all believin’, Richard Dawkins readin’, Great Societies supporting, Iraq-war hating liberal, I give this comment a huge thumbs down.

Seriously dude. When Hamilton’s comments start a war, or when his comments have anything at all to due with the Bush administration, please, leave such comments. Until then, you’re just kind of being a douchebag.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3495)