Nelson Cruz suffers groin strain late in Game 6

Oct 28, 2011, 1:07 AM EDT

cruz getty Getty Images

Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday wasn’t the only big-name slugger to make an early exit from Thursday’s wild World Series Game 6.

According to beat writer Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Rangers right fielder Nelson Cruz has been diagnosed with a groin strain, suffered in his final at-bat of the night. Esteban German took his spot in the outfield in the bottom of the 11th inning and Cruz was shown on the FOX broadcast limping down the dugout steps.

The Cardinals haven’t said whether Holliday, who was diagnosed with a severely bruised pinkie, will be available for Game 7 on Friday night in St. Louis. If he can’t go, the Cards will start Allen Craig.

If Cruz can’t play for the Rangers, look for Craig Gentry and David Murphy to both be in the starting lineup.

1. geshtahl - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:20 AM

I hate to see that. Holliday and Cruz both injured during game 6? I really hope both are able to come back tomorrow night so that both teams are at their best.

2. cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Drew, that has to be the best blogged game ever in a live chat. I could hear your hear breaking from the 2nd floor of your mom’s house to here in the basement of my mom’s house. Then the magical sound of a home run saved us both for a game 7.

Tomorrow man. Let is be as perfect as today.

• Drew Silva - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Thank you, thank you. It’s about staying focused, taking it one snarky comment at a time. My keyboard has character (er, characters), and I just sort of put my trust in it. We’ve got a great group of bloggers here. We don’t quit. I’m in the best blogging shape of my life and I plan on giving 110 percent from here on out. Whatever I can do for the fans. And the kids. In this economy.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Such grit. Such class. You the ‘Mike Young’ of bloggers.

3. vikesfansteve - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Great excuse for missing the catch that would have won the WS.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Seriously, it was a startling poor effort on that play.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM

It certainly makes up for the TWO…count em’ TWO Can O’ Corns Holliday and Freese dropped though huh? Interested in hearing Paper’s take on that incredibly solid defensive minded LF we got. So defensively solid…he would rather let his SS take an over the shoulder catch on a ball hit so high it was bringing down the rain. CALL OFF YOUR SS MATT. YOU HAD TIME TO DRINK A BEER…PUT SUNFLOWERS SEEDS IN YOUR MOUTH…CHECK THE SCOREBOARD AND CALL HIM OFF. I don’t care what that queer ass UZR rating says. My EYE rating tells me he struggles…and has for a long…long time. With that in mind…I hope he recovers in time for tonight cause’ I would really like to see him go off at the plate. He is due. Word is the finger has been bothering him far more than he has been letting on. Could certainly explain the lack of power during the playoffs. But I want both teams at full strength. If not…Berkman goes to Left and A.C. goes to right.

• marshmallowsnake - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM

And I had Texas fans tell me it was a hard play! That made me laugh. He definitely dogged it by not going back fast enough. Easily caught if he goes back faster.

• paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:49 PM

you really have problems with confirmation bias, don’t you?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM

The Rangers scored TWO runs on the Can O’ Corns that Holliday and Freese dropped so I don’t want to hear any shit about Cruze not catching a laser to the wall in Right.

• vikesfansteve - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM

laser. right. that was a sure out for 90% of the right fielders in the major & minor leagues. as far as your don’t want to hear shit comment, go fuck yourself.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Listen man, if those plays were with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th I’d mention them more. Furthermore, this is a thread about Nelson Cruz so take it easy. Considering where Cruz was playing, it was a catchable ball. It wasn’t over his head or hit like a rocket. It was hit decently but Cruz was back in plenty of time and was afraid of possibly hitting the wall and completely misplayed it. If the Cards go on to win the series, that is the play I will remember. While certainly not Bill Buckner, he should have made the play.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Thanks Steve…you sound like a hell of a guy.
        But again…don’t give many any shit about a rope hit to the wall in right when the Rangers scored TWO runs on dropped Cans O’ Corn by Holliday and Freese.
        Have a good day Steve.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Monkey: Could he have made the play? Absolutely. But again…the Cardinals dropped TWO Cans O’ Corn to lead off innings and both runs ended up scoring. I don’t care if they were with one out, two outs or three outs. The ball hit to Cruze was against the wall. You simply can not dispute that. Could he have caught it? Certainly. But he didn’t. Could Holliday and Freese caught the Cans’ O’ Corn…ummm yes. Hell man…my 7 year old daughter could have caught those two Cans O’ Corn (both of which led two runs). It essentially boils down to this from where I am sitting…I am NOT going to let you (Or Packers fan Steve with his F-you comment…would have won the world series bullshit) take anything away from the Cardinals.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Whoa, whoa….I’m not taking anything away from the Cards at all. Hell of an effort by them no doubt. All I am saying is that it was a startling poor effort by Cruz considering the circumstance. The overall quality of play in the game was poor from both sides, that is not in dispute. I’m just saying the Cruz play is what I will remember from the game. Off the bat, I thought the game was over. While the ball was in the air, I thought the game was over. Then all of a sudden, Cruz looked like he said “Screw this, I might hit the wall” and bottled it.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I hear what you are saying Monkey. I sincerely mean that. However, it’s all about each person’s perspective. And from my perspective…the two runs the Rangers scored as a direct result of the Cans O’ Corn that Holliday and Freese dropped trumps the ball Cruze didn’t catch against the wall (that also wasn’t ruled an error).

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Fair enough….I’m not going to tell others what perspective they should have. Differing perspectives on things is one of the things that make this forum fun.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM

“Differing perspectives on things is one of the things that make this forum fun.” Great point. That is a perspective we share.
        Now don’t you have a warm fuzzy feeling in your stomach?
        I know I do…almost enough to vote for the “warm and fuzzy party” in 2012.
        LOL!

• marshmallowsnake - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Right, but the Cardinals did not drop the world series clinching out. The series should have ended right there. That ball was not as hard to catch as people are making it out to be. He just did not go back on it the right way. He looked like he was moving in mud.

• vikesfansteve - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM

umm you have a good day too

• vikesfansteve - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:40 PM

perspective. that out would have ended the WS & Cruz just blew it. That was bartman like. If TX looses to your Cards tonight it is because Cruz blew it. Sure St Louis gave the Rangers a couple of runs too. I get it. The point is that Cruz should have caught that ball. It wasn’t even a hard catch. His team has to be furious that wasn’t caught. The Rangers fans must be incensed.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Paper: If you say so…then heck yes…it’s gotta’ be the gospel.
        Cause’ your “posts are always dead on.”

4. marshmallowsnake - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM

He should have said he injured it missing that ball of of Freese’s bat, that would have sealed the deal.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Steve: That explains it. Your a Cubs fan…right? Be honest. Cubs fan?

5. transam7816 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:08 PM

It wasn’t hard to catch at all. The reason he didn’t was because he eased up since he thought he was gunna hit the wall. I think a broken clavicle would be worth it if they won the WS right then and there.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4053)