Oct 28, 2011, 12:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that, according to his sources, the Angels are going to name Jerry Dipoto as their new general manager.
Dipoto is currently Arizona’s senior vice president of scouting and player development. He previously served as the Diamondbacks’ interim GM. While filling that role he traded Dan Haren to the Angels, so part of the band is getting back together.
Dipoto is well thought of by both the scout-centric and stat-centric world. A smart guy who has made smart moves since ascending to the front office a few years ago, so he’s a great hire in my view.
But of course the biggest question he has in his new job is how much power he’ll have. In the wake of Tony Reagins’ firing, it has been reported that the real power in Anaheim resides with Mike Scioscia, who has had major influence in personnel decisions. Trading Mike Napoli, for example.
Will Dipoto have a free hand, or will he be in a power struggle with Scioscia?
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)