Oct 28, 2011, 12:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that, according to his sources, the Angels are going to name Jerry Dipoto as their new general manager.
Dipoto is currently Arizona’s senior vice president of scouting and player development. He previously served as the Diamondbacks’ interim GM. While filling that role he traded Dan Haren to the Angels, so part of the band is getting back together.
Dipoto is well thought of by both the scout-centric and stat-centric world. A smart guy who has made smart moves since ascending to the front office a few years ago, so he’s a great hire in my view.
But of course the biggest question he has in his new job is how much power he’ll have. In the wake of Tony Reagins’ firing, it has been reported that the real power in Anaheim resides with Mike Scioscia, who has had major influence in personnel decisions. Trading Mike Napoli, for example.
Will Dipoto have a free hand, or will he be in a power struggle with Scioscia?
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 34
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 90
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)