Oct 28, 2011, 12:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that, according to his sources, the Angels are going to name Jerry Dipoto as their new general manager.
Dipoto is currently Arizona’s senior vice president of scouting and player development. He previously served as the Diamondbacks’ interim GM. While filling that role he traded Dan Haren to the Angels, so part of the band is getting back together.
Dipoto is well thought of by both the scout-centric and stat-centric world. A smart guy who has made smart moves since ascending to the front office a few years ago, so he’s a great hire in my view.
But of course the biggest question he has in his new job is how much power he’ll have. In the wake of Tony Reagins’ firing, it has been reported that the real power in Anaheim resides with Mike Scioscia, who has had major influence in personnel decisions. Trading Mike Napoli, for example.
Will Dipoto have a free hand, or will he be in a power struggle with Scioscia?
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 44
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)