Oct 28, 2011, 12:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that, according to his sources, the Angels are going to name Jerry Dipoto as their new general manager.
Dipoto is currently Arizona’s senior vice president of scouting and player development. He previously served as the Diamondbacks’ interim GM. While filling that role he traded Dan Haren to the Angels, so part of the band is getting back together.
Dipoto is well thought of by both the scout-centric and stat-centric world. A smart guy who has made smart moves since ascending to the front office a few years ago, so he’s a great hire in my view.
But of course the biggest question he has in his new job is how much power he’ll have. In the wake of Tony Reagins’ firing, it has been reported that the real power in Anaheim resides with Mike Scioscia, who has had major influence in personnel decisions. Trading Mike Napoli, for example.
Will Dipoto have a free hand, or will he be in a power struggle with Scioscia?
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)