Oct 28, 2011, 12:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that, according to his sources, the Angels are going to name Jerry Dipoto as their new general manager.
Dipoto is currently Arizona’s senior vice president of scouting and player development. He previously served as the Diamondbacks’ interim GM. While filling that role he traded Dan Haren to the Angels, so part of the band is getting back together.
Dipoto is well thought of by both the scout-centric and stat-centric world. A smart guy who has made smart moves since ascending to the front office a few years ago, so he’s a great hire in my view.
But of course the biggest question he has in his new job is how much power he’ll have. In the wake of Tony Reagins’ firing, it has been reported that the real power in Anaheim resides with Mike Scioscia, who has had major influence in personnel decisions. Trading Mike Napoli, for example.
Will Dipoto have a free hand, or will he be in a power struggle with Scioscia?
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)