Report: Yankees, CC Sabathia to discuss contract this weekend

Oct 28, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Texas Rangers, Game 6 Getty Images

Many have considered it a foregone conclusion that CC Sabathia will use the opt-out clause in his contract and hit free agency next week, but the Yankees are doing their best to make sure that doesn’t happen.

Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York reports that the Yankees “will be talking extensively” with the agent for Sabathia this weekend and into Monday, if needed, in order to keep the 30-year-old left-hander in pinstripes for the long haul.

Sabathia’s current deal has four years and $92 million remaining, but while he would have no problem finding a bigger contract in a weak market for starting pitchers, Marchand writes that both sides are “highly motivated” to get a deal done.

Whether an agreement can be reached before Tuesday’s deadline or not, Sabathia is expected to set the bar for the highest average annual salary for a starting pitcher. Cliff Lee, who signed a five-year, $120 million contract with the Phillies last December, currently holds the highest average annual salary at $24 million.

1. redbear18 - Oct 28, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I thought a year without the Yankees in the world series would mean a world series with news about other teams. I guess I was wrong. NOBODY CARES! I want to hear about the rangers and the cards. All Yankees fans are bandwagoners or media. Most overhyped team ever. I’m sick of it.

• nixonotis - Oct 28, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Whoa, did you forget to take your meds this morning?

• uyf1950 - Oct 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM

…and yet you take the time to post about a team you are “sick” of hearing or reading about.

• sportsdrenched.com - Oct 29, 2011 at 9:01 AM

That’s what I was thinking. You know why I don’t post on ProBasketballtalk….because I don’t care about the NBA. That’s the great thing about an electronic medium. I can pick and choose which articles to read.

So to answer the question. You oviously care about CC Sabthia enough that you read the article and commented on it!

• rexryanisablowhard - Oct 28, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Does 35 years still count as bandwagon, just askin?

• damnyankee13 - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:22 PM

been following the Yankees for 50 years.You dont like the team, dont post on team’s threads

• yankees218 - Oct 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Actually a lot of people do care. Its called hardball talk, hence they talk about ALL of baseball…the good, the bad, and the in between.

And to say all Yankee fans are bandwagon fans just because they’re a good team is the most idiotic thing I’ve ever read.

And watch out, that green-eyed monster on your back is starting to show….

• Kevin S. - Oct 29, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Ah, so nobody can grow up in the New York metro area and legitimately be a fan of the Yankees, or have that fandom passed down from their parents? I didn’t realize growing to love the Yankees from watching games with my dad since I was six made me a “bandwagoner” [sic].

Also, CC Sabathia opting out of his contract with the Yankees would add a legitimate ace to the free agent market this off season. I’m pretty sure that news is relevant outside of New York.

• awriterorsomething - Oct 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Bandwagon must equal Yankee fan for nearly 50 years

First game Bat day 1966, rooting for them when the team consisted of great players like Horace Clarke, Ruben Amaro, Jake Gibbs, Steve Whittaker and Charley Smith.

Bandwagon must mean rooting for a team when they are finishing 10th out or 10, 9th out of 9.

Bandwagon must mean going to games on rainy gray days and sitting with the other 5000 bandwagon jumpers to watch a team of has-beens and never will-be’s play.

Yep, all a bunch of bandwagon jumpers.

Overhyped? 27 Series Championships, a player in the HOFat every position except third base, More players on the greatest player lists than any other team? first or second in attendence every year for a decade, best winning percentage for the last 30 years? Largest fan base by far? First team to draw 1 million, 2 million and 3 million fans in a season? Best road attendance team? Most recognized logo WORLD WIDE in sports?

Overhyped?

Grow up

2. pisano - Oct 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Make book on the Yankees giving CC what he wants. They’ll come to an agreement that will keep him in N.Y. for the rest of his career, and they’ll also get one or two more pitchers to go along with him through trade or free agent acquisition.

• uyf1950 - Oct 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Hello my friend. How are you? I figure 6 years/$150M and possible a 7th year vesting option if necessary. I have no problem with 6 years guaranteed.

• pisano - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM

uyf1950…. I agree my friend, like I said CC wants to stay and the Yankees want him to end his career with them. I think this will go smoothly for both parties, at least I’m hoping so.

• offseasonblues - Oct 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM

And if they could get away with it, they’d announce the new contract during game 7 tonight. Yankees suck.

3. rexryanisablowhard - Oct 28, 2011 at 7:11 PM

That’s where you are wrong redbear, and to question your fuzzy logic, why would we hear about other teams except the Rangers and Cardinals? There is so much WS info out there already, what do you want to hear about? Missed calls to the bullpen? Sloppy defensive play? Rangers choking it away last night? Tony LaRussa’s genius? It’s all there for you already. When the currtain drops tonight, the top subject will be free agency, and CC is a huge part of that story. Serenity now.

4. damnyankee13 - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM

There should be a weight clause in that contract. It was obvious he was tired at the end of season.

• pisano - Oct 29, 2011 at 1:19 AM

The Yankees hurt CC by using the six man rotation, that got him out of sync and in the playoffs using him on short rest. I felt that was a lot to ask after all the starts he made during the season. Remember he was not A J Burnett getting knocked early in most games, CC always went deep into games. I hope next year they will put him on a pitch count and also get one or two reliable starters to ease the work load on him. Hopefully they can get rid of A J and get someone they can count on.

5. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Oct 29, 2011 at 4:35 AM

Rangers….or Red Sox hahaha

6. protius - Oct 29, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Something doesn’t make sense to me.

Brian Cashman included the optout clause in Sabathia’s contract to give him the option of leaving the Yankees if playing in New York didn’t agree with him and/or his family. Am I right so far?

CC has publicly stated many times that he loves playing for the Yanks and his family loves living in Bergen county, New Jersey. So far, so good.

Now if all this is true, then the optout clause should no longer be enforceable. Right? Or no?

This is all very confusing.

• Kevin S. - Oct 29, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Because intent wasn’t a condition of using the opt-out. Just because it was there in case CC was uncomfortable doesn’t mean discomfort is the only reason he can use it. In fact, I wouldn’t be shocked if his agent specifically had him play up the comfort factor in order to get it, which is a pretty genius move to get an opt-out that would have otherwise never been given.

7. protius - Oct 29, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Kevin,

I think the Yankees legal department screwed the pooch on this one.

• Kevin S. - Oct 29, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I don’t think there actually is any way to make “personal happiness with the area” a condition of the opt-out.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4849)