The Orioles are going back to the cartoon bird

Oct 28, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT

Orioles cap

News you can use: Roch Kubatko of MASN tweeted that the Baltimore Orioles are going to change their caps next year, returning the cartoon bird of the 70s and 80s. No word yet if it will be like the one shown here or if it will have the white field like it did in the early 80s.

After replay, religion, politics, Ryan Howard and cake vs. pie, I’m pretty sure there hasn’t been more disagreement and rancor around these parts about any topic besides cartoon mascots.  But I’m a man of principle and I must take a stand: I approve of this development. Bringing back the cartoon bird is a winning move.

Have at it, you wrongheaded cartoon haters.

1. stinkfist5 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM

2. DJ MC - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Let me be the first Orioles fan to oppose the cartoon Bird.

It is a relic of a different era. People in Baltimore associate that hat with their youth and winning baseball, and thus are willing to ignore two simple facts:

1) That is the same logo that was thrown out after the 1988 season, the nadir of a five-year collapse from championship to 107 losses. The first version of the present “real” bird came for the 1989 season, which many fans consider the best non-championship season in franchise history. So any belief that the hat is somehow connected to winning is false, at best. At worst, it is simply an attempt to try and play on those associations to sell a few hats.

2) It’s ugly. Worse, rumors around town are that the team may bring back the white-paneled hat, which might be the ugliest hat in baseball history.

I’m stunned that, as many of our own fans that consider the Orioles a joke, let alone people around baseball, some would see this as a step in the other direction.

I’m all for a new logo and, even simply perceived, a “new start”. But it should be something new, not this.

• Alex K - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:24 PM

The white panel on that hat is great looking. That’s not said sarcastically, either. I really like it.

• b7p19 - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:51 PM

You are wrong on every level. There is no question the white panel cartoon hat is the O’s best option.

• kirkdouglasblog - Oct 28, 2011 at 6:23 PM

“Not associated with winning baseball?”….

Say WHAT?

Six world series trips, 3 consecutive with regular season records of 109, 108, and 102 wins, 19 straight winning seasons (2nd all-time at the time). Year after year after year of being right in the hunt of EVERY divisional race right to the end.

Have you lost your mind? When you saw the Orioles take the field wearing that hat, all you thought about was champions and pride.

And 1988 as the best “non-championship season?” Again, “are you nuts?”

What about 1980 when they won 100 games, yet couldn’t get the Yankees?

What about 1982 when they came ROARING back from so far back, and in the final 4 game series and came oh so close to catching the Brewers?

Not associated with champions?

You sir are NOT a T-R-U-E Orioles fan.

Go Birds, and go “CHAMPION-associated” cartoon bird.

The look of the REAL Orioles are back!!!!

• DJ MC - Oct 28, 2011 at 7:50 PM

First, I said it IS associated with winning baseball.

Second, I said 1989 was the year, not 1988.

If you really want to attack an opinion, especially when you attack the author, please have your facts straight.

3. kopy - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I’m pro-cartoon. Needing your team name and logo to be intimidating is for little kids, or (North) Americans.

4. Kyle - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I’m a huge fan of the black and orange color scheme, and I really like all the different variations of O’s hats. I’d vote to avoid committing to any one single style.

5. sjs1959 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I want the bird but no white panel. By the way, Matt Wieters has caught wearing the old helmet with the cartoon bird for some time now.

• stinkfist5 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM

And it looks sweet! I’m alllll for the white pane.

• Panda Claus - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM

The white panel was a 1980′s copycat theme that the Braves, Twins, Orioles and probably 5-6 other teams used. Typically it began as a new approach to hats, then was quickly run into the ground.

• 8man - Oct 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Totally agree. I like what they have here. Oriole Park is still a helluva bargain and great venue to see Major League Baseball.

6. CJ - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Beats the crap out of the Marlins new hat that’s for sure

7. paulsdamnblog - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Hate the O’s. Love the hat though. Glad they’re bring it back.

8. cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Pro cartoon, cake and women with a pulse willing to talk to me (or willing to do anything else for that matter). More cartoon logos, please.

9. milemarker17 - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Don’t stop with the cartoon bird and white panel. Give us the period mesh back, too. I never thought the white panel looked bad, but I do think the black hat/orange brim truly looks like hell.

10. rwjk - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM

CHANGE. YES WE CAN

11. gostros19 - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Now when will the Astros go back to the navy and gold?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:50 PM

You mean this?

I love ugly uniforms, man.

Though this is a separate point from Baltimore – I love that they’re bringing the bird back.

12. tomtravis76 - Oct 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Just use all the uniform styles. They will sell more merch.

13. brewcrewfan54 - Oct 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM

The White Sox should go back to wearing shorts and collared jerseys.

14. Ryan Lansing - Oct 29, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Throwback, schmowback. What if- and this may be controversial, even impossible- but what if some team came up with a completely new logo and color scheme? What if they said, “Hey, we’ve got a rich history, but it wasn’t the logo that won that World Series trophy way back when. It was players who have been retired for twenty years or more. Let’s move forward and give today’s eight-year-old fans something different to be nostalgic about in twenty years.”

It wouldn’t work for the Dodgers or Yankees, but the Orioles have nothing to lose by trying something new. And for the record, and at the risk of a lot of thumbs down, I like the new Marlins logo.

15. dowhatifeellike - Oct 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM