Tony La Russa expected back with Cardinals in 2012

Oct 28, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Regardless of what happens in Game 7 tonight Tony La Russa is expected to return as Cardinals manager next season, according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Officially both La Russa and the Cardinals must decide on their respective half of his mutual option within two weeks after the World Series ends, but Strauss expects the 67-year-old manager to announce his return within days.

Next season would be his 17th as Cardinals manager and La Russa is just 35 wins from passing John McGraw for second place on the all-time list behind Connie Mack. He’s the highest-paid manager in baseball at around $5 million and has had a winning record in 11 of the past 12 seasons.

And if the Cardinals win tonight it’ll be La Russa’s third championship.

1. umrguy42 - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:11 AM

As much as TLR frustrates me… I think this is good from a re-signing Pujols standpoint.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I don’t think much of anything besides dollar bills is going to make a huge difference in that decision.

• umrguy42 - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Chip, I think that certainly will affect it – but, TLR’s been his manager his whole career. He’s comfortable with him, and I think if Tony’s back, Albert has yet another reason to stay. If TLR left, it’d be one less thing tying Albert to St. Louis…

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Dead on 42. When I saw the headline that is the 1st thing I thought.
      And I am with you on TLR. He frustrates the hell out of me too.
      But he sure does have a lot of loyal players and assistant coaches (most of his assistants have been with him for 15 – 20+ years.)
      Falling on the sword for Lilliquist is a fine example and A.P. absolutely loves TLR.

2. chadh88 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Once Albert see where his choices to play are and the difference in money I think (hope?) he will compromise to stay with the Cards

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Me too Chad. I just can’t see him in another uniform. Hell…my wife was even making fun of the Cubs fans who were wearing Cubs jersey’s with his name on it and she is non-confrontational as they come. She said they should feel ashamed of themselves. But I am not sure they feel ashamed of anything.

3. sportsdrenched.com - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:24 PM

In mid-August Cardinal fan were ready to be done with TLR. I could see their point. But as with the Theo debate. Who are going to get that’s a better option? I know he’s the baseball mad scientist, but if I were a Cards fan I would hope he retires in StL.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I wouldn’t switch for anyone Sports. He frustrates me…but a lot of good coaches/managers frustrate me.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4848)