Oct 28, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Shortly after news of the Angels deciding on Jerry Dipoto as their new general manager Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that current Blue Jays assistant general manager Tony LaCava is “very likely” to be named the Orioles’ next GM.
Dipoto and LaCava both interviewed with Baltimore and Heyman speculates that Dipoto talking to the Orioles may have forced the Angels’ hand somewhat, at least in terms of making a quick decision.
LaCava has been with the Blue Jays since 2003, sticking around through multiple front office regimes, and oversees the team’s farm system and Latin American operations.
He previously worked for the Indians and was credited with being a big part of the trade that sent Bartolo Colon to the Expos for Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, and Lee Stevens in mid-2002.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17