Oct 28, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Shortly after news of the Angels deciding on Jerry Dipoto as their new general manager Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that current Blue Jays assistant general manager Tony LaCava is “very likely” to be named the Orioles’ next GM.
Dipoto and LaCava both interviewed with Baltimore and Heyman speculates that Dipoto talking to the Orioles may have forced the Angels’ hand somewhat, at least in terms of making a quick decision.
LaCava has been with the Blue Jays since 2003, sticking around through multiple front office regimes, and oversees the team’s farm system and Latin American operations.
He previously worked for the Indians and was credited with being a big part of the trade that sent Bartolo Colon to the Expos for Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, and Lee Stevens in mid-2002.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 62
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)