Oct 28, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Shortly after news of the Angels deciding on Jerry Dipoto as their new general manager Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that current Blue Jays assistant general manager Tony LaCava is “very likely” to be named the Orioles’ next GM.
Dipoto and LaCava both interviewed with Baltimore and Heyman speculates that Dipoto talking to the Orioles may have forced the Angels’ hand somewhat, at least in terms of making a quick decision.
LaCava has been with the Blue Jays since 2003, sticking around through multiple front office regimes, and oversees the team’s farm system and Latin American operations.
He previously worked for the Indians and was credited with being a big part of the trade that sent Bartolo Colon to the Expos for Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, and Lee Stevens in mid-2002.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 19
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 46
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 22
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)